Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP please

WHats up everyone?
    I just downloaded 2 factions for smac. the jedis and the dark side. the jedi worked fine and they loaded with no problems. The darkside htough i need some help with. It says to rename 3 spartan files to sith.* and this isnt possible. It then goes onto say to edit the alpha.txt and add the sith in place of another faction besides spartans. What exactly does all this entail? If someone could go over the renaming thing and what needs to be done specifically in the alpha.txt, i would really appreciate. In the mean time what i did was extract the files to the smac directory so the graphics for the darkside are fine, but they still have all the atttributes of the spartans. Please help.
    THE HARDER THE STRUGGLE THE GREATER THAT TRIUMPH

I'm not sure of that, but I think that the author wanted to pit those two factions against each other in the game.
    If that's correct, you only need to do this (I assume that for the Jedis, the faction filename is jedi, and for the Siths it's sith):

1. Open alpha.txt.

2. Find the "#FACTIONS" tab (it's almost at the end.)
    You should see something like this:
    Code:
    #FACTIONS
    GAIANS,   GAIANS
    HIVE,     HIVE
    UNIV,     UNIV
    MORGAN,   MORGAN
    SPARTANS, SPARTANS
    BELIEVE,  BELIEVE
    PEACE,    PEACE
    3. Now, replace all the instances of SPARTANS into SITH. You should now have something like this:
    Code:
    #FACTIONS
    GAIANS,   GAIANS
    HIVE,     HIVE
    UNIV,     UNIV
    MORGAN,   MORGAN
    SITH, SITH
    BELIEVE,  BELIEVE
    PEACE,    PEACE
    4. Now, doing accordingly, replace any other faction (except for the Sith of course ) with JEDI. If you e.g. replace them with Morgan, this should be your output:
    Code:
    #FACTIONS
    GAIANS,   GAIANS
    HIVE,     HIVE
    UNIV,     UNIV
    JEDI,   JEDI
    SITH, SITH
    BELIEVE,  BELIEVE
    PEACE,    PEACE
    5. Load SMAC, start new game, pick the faction that you want to play, and enjoy .

Note: If you want to have only one faction in the game, and you want to play them, just choose the Load button on the faction selection screen.

------------------
    LoD - Owner/Webmaster of
    THE CHIRONIAN GUILD SMAC Site
    I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
    LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
    civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by GAMEOVER on 02-20-2001 12:33 PM
      Thanks but it didnt work.
      It says it cant find the file SITH, even though i know i ewxtracted everything to the games directory. Oh well, if anyone else has any ideas i would appreciate it, if not the graphics are cool anyways.

I think this is a case of - the faction file has a different name instead of SITH - You would need to edit the faction file to see/change this. I'm not sure but I think that you can have a SITH.txt file and if the inside name isn't SITH it won't work. (Voice of experience, here)

:D

Comment

To clarify what Xerxes2 said:
        SMAC requires from a faction file, other than a proper name, a keyword for that faction. For example:
        Code:
        ;
        ; Sid Meier's ALPHA CENTAURI
        ;
        ; FACTION FILE: The Human Hive
        ;
        ; Copyright (c) 1997, 1998 by Firaxis Games, Inc.
        ;
        ; ALPHA CENTAURI reads the rules of the game from this file at
        ; startup. Feel free, at your own risk, to experiment with editing
        ; this file. We recommend you make a backup copy of the original.
        ;

#HIVE
        Human Hive, The Despot, Hive, M, 1, Yang, M,  1,  1, 0, 1, 0,
        The #HIVE tag in this faction file key. So, in alpha.txt, where you have "HIVE, HIVE", the first one is the filename, the second one is the key. What you need to do now is to see what is just after the first hash (#) sign in the Sith faction file. Then you need to copy that to alpha.txt instead of the second SITH (or you can replace that with SITH and have alpha.txt unchanged- whichever you want ).

------------------

LoD - Owner/Webmaster of

THE CHIRONIAN GUILD SMAC Site
        [This message has been edited by LoD (edited February 20, 2001).]
        I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
        LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
        civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

Actually i did get it to work!!!! After a little tinkering here and there, it isn ow workin fine. Woohooo.

Comment

Thanks but it didnt work.
            It says it cant find the file SITH, even though i know i ewxtracted everything to the games directory. Oh well, if anyone else has any ideas i would appreciate it, if not the graphics are cool anyways.

Comment

Working...
            X