Blind research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind research

Is it possible to turn off blind research in AC?
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

yes it one of the customized rules you can choose/unchoose when setting up a game.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I prefer Blind Research in SP - makes game more interesting.
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I like both. They make for a different style of game.
        Last edited by Skanky Burns; March 4, 2004, 23:03.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Same here, Obstructor.
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Blind Research for me, but I occasionally play with it off.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I just wonder how blind it really is. Just as you can beeline with directed research , I wonder does blind research follow similar rules.

For instance I choose 'Conquer' but the discoveries just seem to fill in the lower level undiscovered techs regardless.

Has anyone disovered MMI early with Blind research on?
              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

, I usually play with Blind Research. Sometimes you get Doc: Flex and are screaming at your scientists "Where the Hell are my Terraformers?!"

I usually get MMI later in the game. Shoot, one time I got it so late in the game, I had Chiron almost conquered. I had shard needlejets fill the sky before MMI. WTH is up with that?
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I think that I am beginning to prefer Blind Research.

One can still influence the techs somewhat by carefully setting the category preferences at the appropriate times. The F2 screen tells you the category that the next tech will be; acquiring techs of that type from trades, etc., may lead to a change in targets (presumably by using the category preferences too). While this gives you far from total control, it is definitely steerable and offers a whole different experience of the tech tree.

Since bee-lining is much less predictable, one gets to experience different situations, including spending more time before Air Power and MMI, among other things and making the game more interesting in my opinion.

Comment

I prefer Blind as well.

But then, I play gigantic-sized maps with Blind Research, Tech Stagnation, and every other optioned tuned for a very, very long game. I never saw the challenge in any sort of a shortt game... Whether it's a Starcraft Zerg Rush or an AC inpact-rover rush... I never saw the point. Game's over so fast you barely get to enjoy it.

But those are just my tastes. Blind research, for me, adds to the "feel" of the world. I'm not discovering evertything I WANT to get... in fact, it makes it possible for my enemies to get techs before me (something that never, ever, EVER happens with Directed... I prioritize too well it seems).

Besides... it's horribly unrealistic to assume that I'll ever know what or when my breakthroughs will be. You can set researchers on something for years and come up with notyhing near what your goals are, and then there are the times when some kid in his mom's basement invents a moustrap so good it shames all other mousetraps... and I like that feel.
                    Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Anyway, once I got Secrets of Human Brain in 2270 without tech stagnation on, I wonder to this day how come I researched everything but that tech?
                      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I'll often play double blind (have all four branches of research prioritised and left like that throughout the game).

It leads to some odd tech paths especially when you start trading with the AI. But that makes each game more unique because you have to improvise.

I've found that not getting a key early tech for a long time, like rec tanks, is the biggest handicap. One surprising thing is that you always get airplanes quite quickly. Maybe a design feature?

Comment

If you get airplanes very quickly, either I'm incredibly unlucky or you're incredibly lucky. I've gone tgo nearly 2400 without ever seeing a single needlejet before.

From ANYY faction. Weird... and annoying as hell. Even more so 'cuz I wanted my Fusion Shard Choppers!
                          Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Double-blind is having all four preferences unchecked, not checked. There is a slight difference. With all of them unchecked, you have an equal chance of researching every available tech. With all of them checked, the weights are slightly different. Some techs (Ecological Engineering) have high weights in several different categories, while others (Secrets of Human Brain) are low across the boards. You'll be slightly more likely to get a tech of the former type than the latter if you check all four preferences.

Comment

So which would be harder, or are they of the same "difficulty" but just a different experience?
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X