Base tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base tiles

Reading some strategy info in one of the threads, i forgot where, i have learned that a good thing is to have a forest and a bunker in the base tile. What i found is that i cannot enhance the tile occupied by a Base with forest or bunker, but i can create a new Base on a tile containing:
    -forest
    -sensor
    -bunker

interesting, so it can be done this way only?
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

putting bases on sensors is generally a good idea...it means you have +25% defence that can't be destroyed by bombers or snipers and the like...but i never heard about a bunker. does it provide a bonus to units defending in bunker-bases?

Comment

I have never heard of bunkers under a base either. Most base locations are well and truely taken by the time that tech comes along though.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky--what became of the Kenyan tiger avatar?
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I changed back to my previous avatar. Ahhh, redheads.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

On the base tiles

1. sensor- good idea-- you get the 25% bonus and a sensor that can't be destroyed

2. Bunker-- I don't know-- I have never tested this effect. Personally I think its probably better to get a base plated earlier and get a perimeter defense.

3. Forest-- useless-- unlike the CIV games, the terrain of the base tile is irrelevant EXCEPT for specials (+2 of the special) and rivers ( add 1 energy) and the fact that bases can't start on rocky or fungus tiles. The flat arid tile should give you the exact same base tile resources as a rolling rainy.

I have found no way to improve a base tile after the base exists and in fact I have found that SOMETIMES you won't get a sensor on the base tile even if the former has started the sensor before the base is planted.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I may be wrong but IIRC I think I've seen forest growing into a base tile? Either that or I'm getting old
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

This way making tile upgrades before the base is established is the only way to get those excellent features there. And the only exception - spontaneous forest expansion as you DataAeolus observed. I wonder if there is still something more to it
                Mart
                Map creation contest

Comment

Actually don't take my word for it. I'm not so sure myself. I'll have to experiment such as picking a base that doesn't have a forest on its tile. Then plant forest in surrounding tiles and see what happens.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
                    Actually don't take my word for it. I'm not so sure myself. I'll have to experiment such as picking a base that doesn't have a forest on its tile. Then plant forest in surrounding tiles and see what happens.
                    Plant it first or have it grow in later . . . it still will not matter one little bit with respect to the resources you will get from the base tile. Whether a forest woll grow into a base tile might be interesting but it has no practical consequences that I have ever seen.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                      Most base locations are well and truely taken by the time that tech comes along though.
                      that's a good point. But i almost never build bunkers anyways

It's advanced military algorithms, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

...it has no practical consequences that I have ever seen.
                        i think it is additional defence bonus from the forest, what i have heard
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5

i think it is additional defence bonus from the forest, what i have heard
                          hmmm-- that could be---I guess I may have to test this out-- an extra 50% would be HUGE although I don't EVER remember seeing this in bases with a perimeter or AC. If it were cumulative with those things-- OUCH for the attacker

Comment

Was thinking about this and I know that in some CIV versions the underlying terrain made a huge difference. Wasn't there a strategy of placing a base on a mountain with city walls where a phlanx could regularly hold off a tank

Comment

Forset does not help or hinder a base in any way -- and forest does grow under bases just as easily as it does elsewhere.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X