Best faction leaders to liberate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best faction leaders to liberate?

I'm a big fan of freeing captured leaders since (assuming they don't get crushed immediately they restart) it almost always yields some advantages (unless, of course a Pact with that faction would mess up my current diplomatic situation.) At the very least you get a few friendly bases as waypoints for your airforce.

I've been wondering though, which factions are most worth freeing and helping to re-establish? The UoP and Consciousness are good candidates (since I almost always seem to get a couple of techs from them a few turns down the line - especially if you deliberately coordinate your research with them if they suggest it.)
    Either alien faction works well too, since they get more kit when they restart and so establish themselves quickly.

Any others worthwile? I've thought about Roze (since she might probe others for tech) but not had a suitable opportunity to try it yet.

[This message has been edited by Goit (edited December 29, 2000).]

I've never liberated a faction leader (despite best efforts, my probe teams are always lost trying).

So what happens? Are they submissive? And is there a video?
    Team 'Poly

Comment

I've never managed to liberate any either. But my advice would be: As many as possible! You can never have too many slaves.

Comment

I never liberated a leader so I don't know where they actually go. How do they start over again? Do they take all of their cities that are still in their style of architecture?
        "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
        "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
        "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

quote:

So what happens? Are they submissive? And is there a video?

Yes, No. They basically give you their tech and map and pledge a pact.
          quote:

How do they start over again? Do they take all of their cities that are still in their style of architecture?

I believe they get some units (cp's) and build a base. Not sure I understand your second question.

Comment

I've liberated faction leaders before, and very often they turn back upon me, but here are a few things that might help you.

1. If you have repeatedly and consistently committed atrocities against the faction, the leader will hate you even if your spies set him/her free.

2. They are set originally at submissive pact, but they can break this as normal, so any future atrocities will have to be suitably disguised if you want to commit them against that faction.

3. They are given a base more or less at random on the map. Once it has happened that I probed a leader free from an Alien faction, and on the very next turn the alien faction recaptured the leader by storming all over her newly built and lightly defended base.

4. It's usually not worth the candle. Not if you're playing as the Hive, anyway. (Which I, er, somtimes do.)
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

SMACed, I meant do they instantly win the loyalty of their former bases that still have their graphic set style and havn't converted to the conquer's style.
              "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
              "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
              "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

is liberating something you can do in SMACX?

Comment

Yeah, it becomes possible when you probe an AI that eliminated any given faction. Oh, CTG, the answer is no - they have to start all over again with cp's.
                  [This message has been edited by SMACed (edited January 01, 2001).]

Comment

In half a dozen games of SMACX, I've only freed two leaders. One restarted near the Usurpers, and got stamped all over. In the better game, playing as Aki-Zeta, I liberated Roze and gifted her four captured bases as a buffer zone between my bases and the Cult, who were being aggravating. Roze stayed submissive, unsurprisingly.

Comment

My favourite liberation was when I decided to PB the crap out of the caretakers, remembering how the caretakers crushed Domai and Roze early in the game I decided to rescue them (the "right" of rescuing Domai and Roze offset the big "wrong" of mass xenocide)

I used drop probes to carry out the recuse the same turn as I launched the PB's (apparently drop pods can be used to escape singularity planet buster blasts). They both spawned in an empty space below my territory, very close together (probably the only empty space left, considering how much the caretakers had expanded)

Domani built his base and roze was in his territory and couldn't build (and wouldn't move her colony pods either). I gifted both of them captured cities and my tech, I actually got the final singularity tech from Domai, which he researched in 4(!) turns, using only his size 3 city, costing him a scant 16 labs.

Comment

Can you free leaders who've been crushed and held captives by human players in MP games? Or do human players execute their victims per default if they're smart?
                        The rivers shall run to the sea,
                        While shadows shall move across the valleys of mountains,
                        While the heavens shall nourish the stars,
                        Always shall your honor and your name and your fame endure.

Comment

So, let me get this straight. You can rescue captured faction leaders? I have never been given that option and I have Alien Crossfire and all the patches. Do you have to send a probe team to a specific city like the capital city of the faction that eradicated the leader you're trying to free? Would somebody please confirm that? Thanks!
                          Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Locus on 01-29-2001 11:06 AM
                            So, let me get this straight. You can rescue captured faction leaders? I have never been given that option and I have Alien Crossfire and all the patches. Do you have to send a probe team to a specific city like the capital city of the faction that eradicated the leader you're trying to free? Would somebody please confirm that? Thanks!

You have to send the probe team to the capital of the faction that eradicated the other faction.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

For some weird reason, I've never been given this option when playing the normal game, but as soon as I turn on the scenario editer, I can.

Ex: Hive erradicates Morgan. My probe team goes up to The Hive. Hooks up to The Hive, but the option to "Free Captured Faction Leader" isn't there. I abort the mission, turn on the editer, rehook up to The Hive, and it's now there, displayed as it should be.

Why why WHY?!
                              Banned on Black Saturday in the name of those who went before him.

Realizes that no one probably remembers that event.

Comment

Working...
                              X