Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map

Can one connect both extremities of the map.
    What is the size maxi of a map ?

No, just East and West. The maximum map size is listed in one of the text files, alpha(x).txt I think.
    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

maximum map size is limited only by your imagination. The alphax.txt gives Huge as 64 x 128. I've played on a 9999 x 9999 map, (but I think that it really was a 999 x 999, as I saw no difference in the map between the two sizes, having played several on the latter size)

You need processing power for those humungus maps, and it helps to play on 90% water. The game does slow significantly after 2300 or so, and eventually the AI was taking 10 minutes per turn even on my PIII 700.

G.

Comment

Googlie, I think that certifies you as clinically insane. Or just very, very addicted.
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

Comment

I like to have a "round" world by using 400x200 maps, 90% water. I hate when I happen to be near someone.
          "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
          "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
          "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

From my recollection (2 years ago), I actually tried to build a humongous map both by inserting coordinates into the screen menu custom size item, and by editing the WORLDSIZE keys in alpha.txt.

When I went to look at the Bottom Row tiles coordinates tho, it always got trimmed to 256. I actually went and *counted* the tiles!!!

So, the biggest ACTUAL size I could ever obtain was 256x256. Cant' say if I missed something, or if it has been modified later, I'm writing this offhand without rechecking.

My favorite size, back from CIV times, is the classic 80x125=10Kcells (Civ's limit).

Can those who affirm having played on bigger maps confirm taht they VERIFIED the "alleged" size, by simply looking for the biggest coordinates on the map grid (in vertical it's far easier)?

BTW, the smallest must be 16x16, always IIRC
            I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I agree with what MariOne said:

Everytime I try to get a map larger than 256 x 512 the game either changes it down to this value (if entered in the SMAX menu) or chrashes (if entered in alpha(x).txt)

So if anyone really got a larger map, I would like to know how you can get it 'cause I always wanted to try a BIIIIG map.

Todd

Comment

Interesting.

I loaded a 999 x 999 mapsize, adn did the count (actually, just the cursor positioning, as MariOne suggested) and Todd Hawks is right - it was 256 x 512.

And all that time I thought I was playing on really humungus maps

(Mind you, 256 x 512 is pretty big)

But of course it confirms my impression that my famous 9999 x 9999 map was no bigger than a 999 x 999 map (both were, obviously, 512 x 256)

G.

Comment

Ok, that therefore marks you as merely a little obsessed.

Comment

LOL Chowlett, maybe it's obsessive insanity?

Googlie

Comment

Working...
                    X