Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!! Still can't make SMAC work on P4 even with "FOVA=1" in ini file and XP patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Still can't make SMAC work on P4 even with "FOVA=1" in ini file and XP patch

Help please! I'm trying to run vanilla SMAC (don't have crossfire) with patch 4 and the XP patch on a P4 HP laptop. Once I add the "forceoldvoxelwhatever=1" to the ini it does actually let me load the game, but then after about half a turn it gives me an error and quits back to the desktop ("do you want to send an error report?" No thanks Bill).

Please help - very fond of SMAC but it just won't work on my new computer.

Oh - I did the full install (mmm... 40GB hard drive... mmm...)

One other thing they mentioned in the FAQ (top of this forum) is to use a no-cd crack. May help.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Isn't patch 4 intended for SMAX, not SMAC? That could be the problem.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Nah - I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Patch 4 came out before SMACX I think. Anyway, it used to work fine on my old laptop with patch 4.

I think the nocd patch they refer to is only for SMACX. SMAC doesn't need the CD in the drive anyway, so there wouldn't be a nocd patch for it.

Or do I need to get a copy of SMACX and apply the nocd crack to make my bought copy of SMAC work?

Comment

AustralianJeremy: Have you tried changing the sound setup (the ds3d and eax values or simply turn all sound off)? I've seen many crashes due to sound problems--maybe you'll find a solution there...

Comment

great minds... actually, I tried that just before (I had a look at the XP error message and it indicated that the error was in the sound module) and it sort of works now. It still gives me the error message when I load SMAC, but hasn't crashed yet. Of course, I'm at work so I can't really test it properly... I set eax to 0. Don't know why eax doesn't work, though.

Comment

Also, I recommend that you turn off error-reporting in XP. Paradoxically--or not, I guess, depending on your outlook--this often eliminates a lot of errors.

Right-click My Computer, then left-click Properties, Error Reporting, Disable.

FYI 4 is SMAC; 2 is Crossover. 2 includes 4. How's that for new math!

Comment

Working...
              X