Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeffrey Morris when will SMAC version 5.0 be out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeffrey Morris when will SMAC version 5.0 be out?

will it be anytime soon? is it already in testing, or has it not been put together yet? also is there stilling going to be another SMACX patch? just wondering, thanks for your time.

korn469

It's done, but hasn't entered testing. We're currently focusing on SMACGold, which is a marketing SKU containing SMAC and SMACX (that's it!). Once that's done, we'll start looking at the patch question again. If we do a v3 for SMACX, we might wait until it's done and incorporate any SMAC fixes into a new v5. We'll have it more organized in a few weeks.

jkm
    firaxis games

Comment

thanks for the info Jeff!

korn469

Comment

Good god, another 'Gold' edition. Just what the world needs. Jeff, I am certainly not attacking you, nor even Firaxis since I suspect this 'brilliant idea' came down from EA. Combining products into a new box and asksing people to shell out another $45 is ridiculous. No new features, just a box. At least with the wide-use of the internet, most people who already have SMAX won't be fooled into buying something they already have. That's some consolation at least.

Hmmm.... this gives me a great idea for the next version of SMAX. A new faction called The Electronic Arts Denizens, or maybe just the The Grand Alliance of Marketing Morons. The new feature to add is that if you drop a few PBs on this new faction, the other factions actually reward you! I can just see all sorts of scenarios. The EA faction starts with 10 size 15 bases and the goal is to wipe them out as soon as possible!

Comment

Kinjiru, OBVIOUSLY the gold version is created for people who DONT have smac and would like to get both smac and smac-x. As most probably it will be cheaper than buying them separately, it's seems like a good idea if you DONT have smac(to mention it again). I mean, who said they are going to market it as something new????

Comment

It's v4/v2, so it certainly ISN'T something somebody with SMAC or SMACX should be interested in. As I understand it, the major reason they're doing it is to sell extra "add-on" units in Europe. Tradionally, add-on packs don't do very well in Europe, but Golds do. Fortunately, word is SMACX is breaking forecasts (combined), so this is probably just gravy.

jkm
            firaxis games

Comment

There are a lot of Gold editions out there. I think they are a good idea for people who never had the original game plus the expansion packs. I was looking at the "gold" edition of Heroes of Might and Magic and I am considering of buying that.

Another game I hope they have a compilation is Star Control. Although SC3 sucks kinda bad and SC1 is only merely okay, SC2 is way cool.

------------------
              If I can't believe in my own eyes, whose eyes can I believe? Yours?!

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

whats the difference between Star control 1 and 2?
                aren't they nearly the same game?
                (i have SC2 but it doesn't work with win98 )
                -Cthol
                Kropotkin="Finland=lunie"
                ppl="I don't get it..."
                Kropötkin="i sort of said that some newbie must be a lunie. since he was from finland."

Cthol; your sig just get's lunier and lunier everytime i see it
                Kropotkin

ProvostB, are you my sister. .
                connorkimbro

HA HA HA HA HA HA H(ãMing 1999, All rights reserved)

i love ming! ProvostB

<I>This is...A true example of a signature that is:
                1. Way too long
                2. Complete rubbish

Comment

This should probably be in another thread, but Star Control 1 and 2 are very different from each other.

Star Control 1 is a much simpler game and does not have an adventure story with it, just strategic scenarios and a primitive melee. However, it contains some artwork not available in SC2, and the strategic scenarios are somewhat addictive and not duplicated in Star Control 2. I'd say get both if they're available to you.

I got Star Control 2 working with Win98... email me and I'll discuss it with you. (gn0me1@hotmail.com)
                  [This message has been edited by gnome (edited January 25, 2000).]

Comment

Mark, EXACTLY! Gold Editions are for people that missed the original. The only PROBLEM with Golds is that most companies throw in extra maps/scenarios/levels too... which can be pretty iritating to their die hard fans who already supported them through the original and expansion.

PopTop did GREAT with their Gold edition of Railroad Tycoon II... they made the extra maps that were included in it, available FREE from their web/ftp sites.

Jeff, I think a SMAC Gold IS a great idea... I mean, you could see that thing coming when SMACAX was released... Now, I can give my cousin Nathan SMAC and SMACAX as a birthday gift (and keep him off my machine). Just keep in mind that any new freebies (maps/scenarios) that ONLY appear in a Gold might tick off a lot of your customers... That WILL make it look like just another money making scheme, rather then the logical bundling of SMAC and it's expansion...

-Darkstarr
                    -Darkstar
                    (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Ahem. Where do you get the patch for AC?

Comment

http://apolyton.net/smac/

on the top of the news page, on the right, you'll see "Files" box with both the smac and smacx patches...

Comment

I know this is probably a dumb question, answered numerous times already, but here goes. I recently received SMAC and SMACX for Christmas. Do I need to download both the SMAC patch (4.0?) and the SMACX patch (2.0?)? Or does the SMACX patch do double duty? I have already downloaded the SMACX patch and ran it, but I wonder if I need to run the SMAC patch as well. Thanks.
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

It's not a dumb question.

No, SMACx includes the v4 enhancement.
                            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Sikander:

If you don't want your original SMAC "retrofitted" with copy protection I suggest you download the v4 "terran.exe" file. Do this, however, after you install the SMAC-X v2 patch.

Comment

Working...
                              X