X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecology formula: having troubles

I go to data links,
    and look at the advanced ecological formula

But the numbers don'ts seem to add up correctly.
    Example:
    ecology% = (valueFromStep10) * difficulty *technologies * (3-PLANET * LIFE/300

the base produces 62 minerals
    It has Hybrid Forest and tree farm,
    and no previous damage
    So I reduce 62 to

then I divide by 2 because I have a centauri Preserve

So I plug 23 into the formula:

23 * 5 (because I'm on the hardeset difficulty) * 75 (number of techs I have) * 1 (because my planet rating is +2) *3 (because life forms are abundant / 300

This comes out to 86.25

But When I got to the base it says 7 under ecology!

Is the formula they told us in the game wrong? or have I misunderstood how it works? How can I properly calculate and predict ecology??

I guess you're talking about clean minerals?

IIRC, clean minerals = 16 + number of fungal *pops* that have already occured + number of tree farms built at all bases after first pop + number of centauri preserves built in all bases after first pop.

This was based on years of observation and experimentation, not on the manual.

If you're asking how to properly predict the amount of eco-damage after zipping past the clean minerals...I can't help there.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

hmmm pop meaning. when there's a small explosive growth of fungus on the map?

Or am I to understand you're keeping track of how many times the onomotepia *pop* occurs in dialogues with planet?

.....or # of dialogues with planet??

Comment

"hmmm pop meaning. when there's a small explosive growth of fungus on the map?"

Yes, this is what's meant by a pop (sometimes written as >pop<).

Here's a link to a definitive explanation of eco-damage:

Note that Mad Monk is correct about Tree Farms and Centauri Preserves increasing the number of clean minerals (after the first >pop<), but Hybrid Forests and Temples of Planet also have the same effect.
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by angryinvalid

Or am I to understand you're keeping track of how many times the onomotepia *pop* occurs in dialogues with planet?
          I don't think that most of us keep track of the number of pops in a game but I do believe that many players will deliberately induce a pop or two in selected locations where they are ready to harvest worms BEFORE building a bunch of treefarms and hybrid forests.

Once you understand the clean minerals system, it is not that hard to have a bigger base with no ecodamage. Even a dozen bases with the TF and HF combo means you are up around 40 minerals without even considering the impact of pops.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

That was EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you very much.

I have another question, but I guess I should make it it's own thread since it's totally different, but since you guys specifcally are so helpful I'll ask you here too:

It seems like when Psi combat occurs between a native life form, and a unit with 2 3 or 4 reactor; larger hits are taken out of that unit each time he is damaged, seemingly nullifying his reactor advantage.......

Does this work out perfectly and exactly?
            Does it only work with native life forms?
            More effective when native is attacked, or attacks?
            effective for non native units with psi attack??

Comment

I'll just point out that this second question no longer needs to be answered as it was covered in the other thread.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
              X