No announcement yet.

On the creation and export of units...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the creation and export of units...

How many of you here create "export" versions of units and give them to friendly factions?

I enjoy creating lower tech units and export them to friendlies who are engaged in war with a mutual rival. I've helped turn the tide for many of my allies using export units.

Let me elaborate on what I do. I design a unit with 1 or 2 level armor lower than my best armor. Same goes for the weapon. If I am one of the few or only one to posses an advanced power plant than I use a lower tech power plant for the "export" unit. Then I march the unit into my allies territory and turn over control to them. I've never received any thank yous from them but I've noticed that I've helped their war effort significantly.

Why would you do this you might ask? Well, to keep a puppet around and keep my rivals weak/occupied without having to fight a war myself. Then when the time is right I strike.

I wish this feature was available in Civ3. Anyone else do this?
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Sometimes
    I prefer releasing worms in teritory of other factions. In huge quantities
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Yes, I like to gift units to friendly factions, especially sumissives. This technique is better than gifting techs (which can be traded to unfriendly rivals).

A more devious use of this idea is to gift worthless units. In one game I gave Deidre a NeedleJet Transport. She didn't have D:AP yet and gleefully built dozens of these units. They just sat in her bases, using up her minerals. Didn't do her much good when she later declared Vendetta!

Has anyone else ever done this? If so, what useless units did you donate?
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

An Impact Hover tank with plasma armor With a Clean reactor... And the poor Floorwipe still got his a$$ Whipped.

Comment

Heck just give em formers. AI doesn't know what to do with them anyway.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I just give them my leftovers that I forget to upgrade.

Although I'll try and terraform my ally's land for him/her if they don't have the tech yet.....I'm just a softy.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I like to give them clean units. I dont bother giving them outdated weapons, because by the time I'm feeling charitable towards my submissive the techrate will be such that in a few turns I'll be a couple of weapon levels ahead anyway

Comment

Leftovers and useless units!

Gotta love those strategies. Flood them with units that soak up their support costs.
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                X