Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you armor your probe teams?

Hi all,

A while ago I asked if you all armored your aircraft in SMAC(X) and that got me thinking of other units you don't normally think about. Take probe teams for example. Do you put armor on them? I've tried experiementing and I think I notice an improvement defending against probe attacks. Haven't seen if there is any benefit to standard weapon attacks against armored probe teams.

What are your thoughts/experiences? Is it worth the extra resources?
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

I don't believe armoring a probe team has ANY effect if attacked by another probe team.

It WILL however give the probe team a better defense against standard attack. Note however that a probe will always die automatically if the last conventional troop it is stacked with is killed.

I armor probes for two reasons

1. worm defense so it survives perilous trips-- add trance

2. If I want the probe as the sole defender of a base-- No support cost and it will defend with its armour.

I don't do it often but it has some applications
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

When you say "defending against probe attacks" do you mean probe vs. probe combat? Such combat is resolved only by the morale of the two units, so armoring a probe team has no effect against another probe.

A probe's armor will help defend against non-probe units. However, if the probe is stacked with other units or is in the same base as other units, the probe will not defend against an attack, even if it has the best armor. Also, if the defending unit is destroyed, so is the probe.

Some players use a strategy of armored probes (with trance, if available) to defend bases, especially playing with Morgan. Since the probe is "clean", it doesn't count against support limits. IIRC, a synthmetal probe built on an infrantry chassis costs the same as an unarmored probe built on a rover chassis. This is still more expensive than a regular garrison unit.

About the only time I armor probes is late in the game when I have drop pods and orbital insertion. A heavily armored drop hover probe can drop into enemy territory, absorb counterattacks for a turn, then commence probe action. Admittedly, this is for single-player games when the result is no longer in doubt.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

It's worthwhile to have armored probe defenders for bases? Would they be able to stand up to standard infantry/mobile attacks?

I haven't armoured them, I like my probes to prance around butt-naked.

I do make adjustments to them so I have probe foils and rovers. If I remember correctly (it has been a long while since I tried this), drop probe teams doesn't seem to work well. Would flying probe units be worthwhile, I wonder?

I'd fire up my game and try but I recently completed a game on the huge map of the Planet. Now I'm on a break from games while I'm doing boring stuff like graduate school applications . Once I open a game, I just can't stop myself.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
          It's worthwhile to have armored probe defenders for bases? Would they be able to stand up to standard infantry/mobile attacks?
          I believe they stand up as well as any conventional unit but have not tested this. I think that one disadvantage may be that you may not to be able to put things like ECM or AA on them but I would have to try that since I don't recall-- Was it crawlers that can't have AA??
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I discovered another reason to armor probes.
            I was invading the Gains on the northern Island, and they had a serveral probs and some money. So I sent in 3 probes with the force to defend the base i took from being probed back. The Gains first bombard with some artillery, bouncing off the combat troops but putting 90% damage on the unarmored noncombat probes. Then their attack with 2 probes blew the defending probes away in probe to probe combat and took back the base, and a nice little army.
            Next time Iused srmored probe to resist the artilery damage.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I believe they stand up as well as any conventional unit but have not tested this. I think that one disadvantage may be that you may not to be able to put things like ECM or AA on them but I would have to try that since I don't recall-- Was it crawlers that can't have AA??
              IIRC you can ECM Probes but not AAA.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Armored probes for base defense is definitely worthwhile for Freemarketeer Dataangel. The main advantage is the large probe morale bonus and also the lack of a morale hit under Wealth.

It is also somewhat worthwhile for Morgan, but more for support reasons than morale. (Altough I do find myself running Fundie as Morgan quite often)

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
                  Would flying probe units be worthwhile, I wonder?
                  You can't put probe ability on an aircraft chassis now (original release you could, but that got changed in a subsequent patch under "housekeeping" tweaks)

I use drop probes after MMI in conjunction with helipods - I send them (tranced and with 3-res armor for mindworm defense) hopping after the chopper to give instant probe defense for new bases while these bases are concentrating on troops and infrastructure.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

IIRC you can ECM Probes but not AAA.
                    Now thats an odd distinction-- so your probe can be as good as a conventional troop against land attack but not against an air attack??

Odd

Comment

Ya -- arty knocks the stuffing out of probes. Although for arty defense, I like to bring along some of my own arty. (to knock the stuffing out of the other guy's probes if nothing else)

Comment

If you have the xenoempathy dome, probe teams do not provoke worm attacks just traipsing through the fungus. Add armor, trance and radar, and you have a really nice, clean exploration unit.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I dont armor probes except infantry probes for defensive purposes. I like to give my rover probes deep radar (allows better planning of moves) and armor will bloat the coast excessively. 4 Rows is already quite enough for me.

Comment

I know this sounds kinna dumb but, I don't like armoring rover chassis PT's. I prefer the classic man with a suitcase graphic over the speeder chassis.

So like Blake I normally armor my infantry probe teams for reasons of aescetics as well as cost.

Go figure.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The red infantry probe does look very cool, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X