Turning Off Auto-Design in Multiplay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Off Auto-Design in Multiplay?

Curious if you could turn off the auto-design feature during multiplay games. Not only would it clean up my production window, but hopefully it will keep the AI from re-designing my custom units. The option works fine in single player games. But every TCP/IP game I've played has had me spend half the time playing and half the time cleaning up the mess in the design workshop.

JB

There's an option under preferences.
    Find the 'Auto design units' button.

Comment

I think he's found that one -- he's just saying it dosen't appear to work in multiplayer.

Unfortunately, I don't know the solution.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Many of such options can only be set by the player setting up the game. Likely some can not be set all al in mp.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Multiplay games seem to default to settings in order to make turns as fast as possible; fast battles, fast movement, auto design units, no secret project movies etc. Changing preferences makes no difference to these settings and I cannot see any way for the host to change them either in the game or during setup.

Presumably there are configuration files which can be edited in order to change the default settings for multiplayer games, does anyone know if/how this can be done or which files must be edited?

Comment

JonasBane: I can't reallly speak to TCP/IP games, but in the PBEM format of multiplay, I have never seen that particular problem.

In PBEM, at least, I can't say that I have seen any preferences consistently overridden by the PBEM (at least those that mean enough to me to notice anyway - unless there are some that I have given up trying to change so completely that I've even forgottten about it ). Some preference items seem to be capable of being overridden by someone else changing the setting on their turn but IMhO, most settings don't get overridden that way and perhaps none do, but I am inclined to think that this happens w/r certain settings at least. I think that starting a new game from a scenario might expose some of your settings to being changed to those used by the scenaraio generator, and that might be quite noticable, but in a normal PBEM, it seems that for the most part the settings settle down and things don't change much, if at all. I've just assumed that people just got tired of changing things back and forth all the time, or didn't notice; at least that's the way it seems to be for me.

Comment

I agree with Johndmuller

The only settings I will check are the "always investigate monolith" and any auto-move settings. I find both to be really annoying

I also sometimes turn on Fog of war but I don't know if that carries through to other players
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
              X