Making your own faction bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your own faction bases

I've taken a look out there at some of the custom factions/bases, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the artwork - however, I'd like to try my hand at making my own, and I've no good references for any of the base 'isometric' graphics to use as a baseline. Are there any developers out there that could provide me with some useful links for base graphics?

Thanks in advance!

A good place to start is the node.

Get yourself a PCX-compatible editor. Edit things up a bit.

A great way to annoy people is to make your base graphic that of a crawler or a trawler. People will take one look at your empire and say "Where the heck's the bases?"

Comment

I've experimented with the Sim City Urban Renewal Kit (SCURK), converting some SC2K buildings (singly and in groups) to AC bases, and I think the results are pretty decent.
      The isometrics are correct. They supply a set of textures, and you can freehand pixel-by-pixel.
      SC buildings are lit from the left, so they have to be mirrored (flipped left-to-right) for AC, which lights them from the right.
      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but...assuming that one doesn't have the SCURK software, where else or what other resources would anyone care to recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
          A great way to annoy people is to make your base graphic that of a crawler or a trawler. People will take one look at your empire and say "Where the heck's the bases?"
          The problem with that is that the box still appears with your base size in it. So unless you have found a way to remove that box (have you?? ), all bases can still be easily spotted.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

You could try setting all faction colours to purple (transparent).

No, that only removes some other stuff. Still pretty fun to look at, though.

Comment

All pretty funny stuff...are there any other useful tips, resources, et cetera, where I might be able to find some custom bases (or tips on how to make originals)?

I have Paintshop Pro ver 7, which will save graphics back off in the PCX file format the game needs - I just don't have any links or tips on where to go to get sample buildings, bases, and so on.

Comment

The one thing to watch for is that you don't reduce the intensity of the backgound by mistake -- you do that, and the invisible background suddenly becomes much too visible.

I have PSP8, and that happened to me when I did a copy-fill; somehow, and intensity got reduced and I had a devil of a time getting it back.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                X