Icbm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icbm

Why can't the missiles in alpha centauri fly across the map in one turn? Aren't they ICBMs (espically the nukes)? We had the technology in the 60's. And how do they land?

I'm not sure what you mean by landing. I suppose just fly the missile to one of your own bases before its fuel goes out.

That's the annoying thing about missiles - if you directed a missile toward a target and one of your bases happen to be in the line, the missile would stop into that base automatically.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

No, I am not asking about how to land the missile, I'm saying how does it supposed to work? (Drones?)

Comment

Originally posted by d=me
        No, I am not asking about how to land the missile, I'm saying how does it supposed to work? (Drones?)
        Not sure what you mean by Drones here. If a Planet Buster or conventional missle moves into a tile that contains either an enemy city or unit it will explode and "nuke" the area around it. That is how they land.
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I think that he meant by "drones" that each missile is flown by a drone

Comment

sorry double post
            Last edited by Flubber; January 15, 2004, 12:19.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I think I understand the question. If missiles on earth could hit pretty much any place on earth, why do planet busters have some limited range on Alpha Centauri. Should not the technology allow them to strike anywhere or fly over that annoying line of ships erected as a barrier ??

I agree that the technology SHOULD allow that but for gameplay reasons I am glad it does not. I like the fact that players can create areas that are safer from PBs and that players have to plan how to deploy their missiles.

For the purposes of the game, lets pretend that the lack of GPS positioning sattelite or a lack of resources or whatever does not permit factions to build or control ICBMs with sufficient accuracy
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Now I understand why nukes work the way they do in Civ3.......
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                  For the purposes of the game, lets pretend that the lack of GPS positioning sattelite or a lack of resources or whatever does not permit factions to build or control ICBMs with sufficient accuracy
                  Personally I blame the gravity, those missiles just can't enter the inner space in order to travel to their destinations faster and across shorter distance.

I'll never forget how one time in Civ2, an AI nuked me. I was stunned, I didn't think it'd happen ha. It has not happened to me in SMAC yet but who knows? Definitely not in the current game.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

And how do they land?
                    they weren't armed, just stuck on a jet/loaded on a ship/strapped to a big rover and moved to the next site.
                    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I think this is one of those 'use your imagination' type scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus

Personally I blame the gravity, those missiles just can't enter the inner space in order to travel to their destinations faster and across shorter distance.
                        They should have the technology to push it into orbit. (or else how did they build the space elevator?)

Comment

A faction can achieve Clinical Immortality, build Space Elevator, discover Matter Transmission and Matter Editation, manipulate gravity - but cannot extend range of PB. No sense at all - but who cares? It works this way just fine.
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

The Ai cheats on the range anyway

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Sparse fuel ? as Santi put
                              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
                              X