Freakin' Aliens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freakin' Aliens!

Is there any way to make it so you can play with random factions without having the hideously overpowered and annoying aliens in there?
    (SMAX, o' course.)

Make sure you save the original, and remove the factions from your Alpha.txt. Other readers can correct me (on break at work, cannot check my game) but that should work.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I usually take a few seconds to hand-pick some factions, and mix it up each time I play. In addition to avoiding the Aliens, I avoid Miriam and Cha Dawn and their whining. Call me anti-religious if you want (I'm not), but I can't stand them.

Shawnmmmmmccccc's suggestion seems good, though, if you're not afraid of changing alpha.txt like me.

Edit: <--- would never mess with alpha.txt without backing it up first.
      Last edited by jtsisyoda; January 6, 2004, 12:15.
      "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's? Pay no attention to Caesar. He doesn't have a clue what's really going on." -Cat's Cradle

Comment

I'll give it a try on my days off - I'll leave you folks the results over the next week or so, I'm playing Miriam (first time - with the Aliens) at Transcend (large planet) and it's a b**** of a game. Biggest challenge I've had in three years.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Aliens just seem to be overpowerd - in SP there is just a short time they kick ass up to first hundred and twenty or thirty years- soon Yang or Miriam will kick theirs
          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Don't try deleting them from the Alpha.txt file - it locked up the game . I restored, no problem. You might try posting on the SMAC Game Creation thread, there are some pretty knowledgable types there. Just phraze it - How do I edit out the Alien Faction - and note you DO NOT want to substitute custom factions. They have some interesting ones if you surf over to some of the mod sites.

Comment

Working...
            X