No announcement yet.

Non-foil transports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I belive all transports have -1 movment (or just 1 if its infantry). So Rovers have 1, Foils 3, HoverTanks 2, Cruisers 5.
    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Repair bay is actually quite useless - it repairs to slow for me.
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I thought that special ability didn't function at all. Probably the repairing you see is just what would happen even if you didn't have a repair bay.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

What are you talking? it worked in SMAC when I last used. It is bad because it fixes about 10 percent per turn and the transport has to move or it doesn`t work.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

the transport has to move or it doesn`t work

Now that's a tidbit I've never seen before.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
              I think the transport is designated as the defender and all cargo is lost.
              Nope, on land cargo survives albeit with damage. On the high seas cargo drowns.

To others points, Yes land transports make the stack probe proof.

A point worth mentioning that prolly isn't apparent initially. Units can be transported after they have taken all there actions. For example, a 6-1-1 is on a road square 2 squares from a enemy base. A infantry transport (no need for rover transport as other point out yields same amount of movement and is significantly more expensive) transports the 6-1-1 to an attack position. 6-1-1 unloads, attakcs, wins combat but is now vulnerable to counter attack. Reactiviate said 6-1-1 hit L and have 6-1-1 retreat 2 squares.

Next turn 6-1-1 can be transported back to a base via transport (assuming/supposing a friendly base is on the road within 3 squares) and heal a turn earlier as it took no action in the second turn.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame

Needlejet/Chopper/Gravship transports can only load/unload at an airbase (I think), but can be almost as good as psi gates.
                Not so, you can force an unload while in air. (can't recall right now the exact method. It's either the keyboard shortcut or the mouse menu)

These airborne transports are mostly useless for conventional forces as they carry but one unit. Most prefer drop enabled units instead. However they are extrememly useful to insert probes. As use of them allows a work around for air defenses that would otherwise prevent an insertion.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

units within a transport repair themselves 10% each turn don't they ? since they count as stationary just like if you held for a turn on land
                  Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Nope I say - they are counted loaded and they don`t repair unless the transport has repair hull. But they do repair if loaded on transport in a base.

Comment

Forcing unload of an air transport:

Right click on the transport when its flasing as though you were about to move it.
                      Choose 'Action...'
                      There is an unload button there.
                      Haven't tried the shortcut key for that, which is Shift+U.

Its limited in usefulness because flying transports have a move of 4.

Just for fun:
                      Transport and moves
                      Infantry/Rover: 1
                      Hovertank: 2
                      Needlejet/Chopper/Gravship: 4
                      Foil: 3
                      Cruiser: 5

Not sure about the ship ones though.
                      #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                      #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
                        Forcing unload of an air transport:

Right click on the transport when its flasing as though you were about to move it.
                        Choose 'Action...'
                        There is an unload button there.
                        Haven't tried the shortcut key for that, which is Shift+U.

Its limited in usefulness because flying transports have a move of 4.

Just for fun:
                        Transport and moves
                        Infantry/Rover: 1
                        Hovertank: 2
                        Needlejet/Chopper/Gravship: 4
                        Foil: 3
                        Cruiser: 5

Not sure about the ship ones though.
                        A slight addendum to your notes. Air chassis do indeed normally yield but 4 squares, however

fusion adds a move, quantum yet another, singularity yet another
                        elite adds a move &
                        IIRC CBA adds 2 moves.

So for grins and giggles say you are building elites have fusion technology and the CBA. Couple this with an elite rover PT unloaded on a road and your effective range is more like 16 squares. More importantly the 8 squares normally is more than enough to bridge a water obstacle thereby allowing insertion of PT's into hinter land bases and whats more than is virtually no stopping the insertion.

I'ld say that's pretty useful.

Additionally the preferred chassis is the chopper. Although unlikely that it will be undetected and remain unattacked. If it does sneak in under the radar you have 4 moves worth of 8 (well 3 at 8 and1 at 7) prior to the chopper biting the dust. Thats 31 squares by air and 8 by roaded land (leaving a 1/3 move left for probe action). Granted your suiciding the chopper but such is the fortunes of war.
                        Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; January 6, 2004, 01:43.

Comment

A unit I have been putting into some of the PBEM's I design are a "Scud Launcher". Put into dormancy during setup, essentially its a strategically placed mobile airbase that the AI will use. I find that this is better than simply placing an airbase in a square, as anyone can land at an undefended airbase (i.e. I am keeping the strategic air advantage provided by the Scud Launcher soully in the hands of the AI).

D

Comment

Is this in the ACPSG?
                            I dread to think of a Truck Nuke launcher.

Comment

I am kind of fond of these alternative transports, but ...

As has been mostly said already, they have limitations, some reasonable and some that might have been unintentional (the word bugs comes to mind). Some aspects, such as the unloading of air transports enroute, are sometimes controversal and other aspects, such as finding a logical rationale/justification for the land transport gambit are illusive. Nevertheless, they are intriguing and sometimes useful, in a niche sort of way, especially once they can be built 'Clean'.

Personally, I find the drop transports to be the most useful, but I also sometimes build the others, mostly a token air transport, but sometimes the land transport (despite my philosophical difficulties imagining that there would be any time left in ones turn for regular unit movement after using up a full turn of movement driving around in some sort of lumbering house-mover carrying a load of tanks).

Comment

Re: I am kind of fond of these alternative transports, but ...

Originally posted by johndmuller
                                and other aspects, such as finding a logical rationale/justification for the land transport gambit are illusive. Nevertheless, they are intriguing and sometimes useful, in a niche sort of way, especially once they can be built 'Clean'.
                                Apparently I haven't made my arguements re:the benefits clear enough or often enough.

All I can say is try building a few of of these say 3-4 of them andsee how they aid your peacetime as well as war time efforts.

Comment

Working...
                                X