farm + mine = wtf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farm + mine = wtf??

I played civ3 for a while and my cousin told me to check out this game cause its just more fun to play than the civ series.

So I am just now trying it, it seems pretty cool and I like the designing units feature and stuff, the graphics aren't that big of a deal.

Anyways the point is Im new to the game, and I looked through all the information and so far have got that:

Moist squares produce 1 food. Farms add 1 food. Rolling squares produce 1 mineral. Mines add 1 mineral.
    Farms and mines are not mutually exclusive. Neither has any penalty to any other type of output in its description.

So WHY is it that when I build a farm and a mine on a rolling moist square it only makes 1 food???

a mine will deduce 1 nutrient per turn from whatever square it's on. It's just something it does.
    Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
    +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
    http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

I see... too bad they decided to omit that fact in all descriptions of what it does lol...

Comment

Because IIRC there ARE food penalties associated with building a mine . I actually forget because I never build that combination. IN any event NEVER ever build this combination of a farm plus a mine anywhere-- build forests for multipurpose squares-- it takes less terraforming time and nets more resources ( especially later after you build tree farms.

Very simplified terraforming rules

Mines should only go on rocky tiles period and nowhere else ( idea is to use crawlers to gather resources of a single type which is maximized from the tile)

Farms generally will go on tiles in combination with solars ( worked by a citizen) or condensors ( crawled).

Borehole or forest everything that doesn't get a farm or a mine

Some people follow rigid terraforming rules like

rainy-flat--- condensor+farm
        rainy rolling-- farm + solar but I often find reasons to deviate from formulaic approached

Even if you ignore the rest of what I post, remember, Farm+mine is a bad combination
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The only time you want to farm + mine is when there is a mineral bonus on a rainy tile and it's pre-restriction lifting. It still takes 12 former turns or something, so only bother if your formers are sitting around bored.

Edit: May as well describe my terraforming, remember I dont use crawlers on a permament basis, if at all. My terraforming rules reflect the fact that all tiles will be worked.
          Rocky -> Level then forest.
          Rainy,Rolling,1000+ -> Solar, then farm, maybe replace solar with condensor at some point. If these tiles are abundant some will be forested.
          Farm+Condensors on rolling tiles as nessecary to support borehole workers.
          Everything else, forest or borehole.

The major difference is I condense the rolling tiles rather than the flat, to get the +1 mineral.
          Last edited by Blake; December 29, 2003, 19:28.

Comment

I took the mine nutrient penalty out in my modded rules.

Its silly. Silly silly.

Comment

Forests, condensor+farm, mine+road on rocky and boreholes are the only t-forming I use.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Mining a farm square is a foolhardy exercise even if you remove the 1 food penalty of a mine. It takes 10 terraforming turns to produce a square that produces, at best, 1 more factor of production than a forest square, which, I might add, takes 4 turns to plant, and spreads independently. And once you get tree farms, there's simply no contest.

Comment

And the exception is mining a mineral special, which gives +2 minerals. So farm/mining a rolling/rainy/Mineral goes from 2-3-0 to 2-5-0. Good for a SP base, and it also stops the forest spreading over the tile which changes it to 1-4-1.

Comment

First of all, a rolling rainy square gives 2/2/0 when mined/farmed, not 2/3/0. Roads only help on rocky squares. Second of all, you'll get the same +2 boost to minerals if you forest that mineral bonus. I'd rather have a 1/4/1 square that takes me 4 turns to terraform, than a 2/4/0 square that takes me 10 turns to terraform, especially considering that once I get Tree Farms, the forest becomes the clear winner.

Comment

He's right. Mines are only worth it on rocky squares, and never worth combining with farms.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Bah I have nothing more to say on this topic.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                          I took the mine nutrient penalty out in my modded rules.

Its silly. Silly silly.
                          How?
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

IIRC the rule is that mines provide an extra mineral in mineral bonus squares.

So just as Blake said any rolling min special with a mine gives 5 mins which is sometimes better than 4 mins from a forest.

Rolling +1
                            Special +2
                            Mine +1
                            Bonus +1
                            Total 5 mins.

IIRC Monsoon jungle min special square is 2/5 with a mine only prior to restriction lifting (rainy=2 food, mine -1 food, jungle +1 food). Probably better than a 2/4/1 forest alternative. Not that it happens very often.

Also Garland crater and Mt Planet count as mineral specials, so mines yield an extra mineral in these squares as well. Mines are particularly viable for Mt Planet since you cannot forest them anyway. Technically they are not supposed to be farmed either but (farm+mine+road) commamd will still build a farm there. But Farm+solar is probably better still since Mt Planet bases tend to be nutrient-poor.

[Edit: forgot to mention that above applies to rolling squares]
                            Last edited by ErikM; December 31, 2003, 10:19.
                            It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

One day I'm going to learn to do math, then you all will tremble in fear. :P

Sorry, Blake.

Comment

Working...
                              X