question about prototypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about prototypes

ive been playing smax, talent level, prototypes are not free. but as i reach date 2157, prototypes become free. i don't see additional prototype costs in the build window. is this normal?

Solutions:
    1. You've built a skunkworks
    2. You've built the prototypes already
    To test this, wait until you get noodles or copters, which should need to be prototyped.

If not I don't know what's going on

Comment

nope, i haven't built the skunkworks yet

yes i've built a prototype. but the units whose prototype i have not built yet become free when i reach the date. in every smax game ive played this is the case

Comment

have you built a planet buster ? i read that they remove prototype costs
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I just started a SMAX talent level game and wasn't able to reproduce the prototype behavior you described. I designed and built a 2-1-1 Laser Squad. This was before MY 2157. Had to pay normal prototype costs. Then, in MY 2158 I designed a 1-3-1 Plasma Garrison. Again, I had to pay normal prototype costs.

Do you have the most recent SMAX patch? According to the readme, this patch fixes some problems with prototyping.
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

Weird bug. obviously a bug. But SMAC has seen even weirder.

I present you with this throphy, "The Weirdest Newest Bug in SMAC/SMAX, December 2003". :throphy:

At least you didn`t experience extremely strange repeated meteor strike bug.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Planetbusters nixing prototype costs? Never heard of that before.

Comment

maybe you built a 2-3-1 unit, thereby getting rid of both the Laser and the Plasma prototyped units.
                It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

Yes there is no magic to 2157 that I know of.

Please tell me you are not playing Spartans.

Comment

I have experienced the prototypes becoming free as various points in the game, almost invariably the highest weapons have been pre-prototyped for me, altough sometimes it happens earlier. Could be something to do with missiles/planet busters.

Comment

Blake

I have experienced the prototypes becoming free as various points in the game, almost invariably the highest
                      weapons have been pre-prototyped for me, altough sometimes it happens earlier. Could be something to do
                      with missiles/planet busters.
                      That 's what I am about to test. I read that somewhere too.
                      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I can't find it right now, but there was a thread about six months ago in which it was claimed that building a PB eliminated all prototype costs for attack weapons. The reason given was that once you prototype a weapon for a given strength, all weapons of lower levels are automatically considered to have been prototyped. A PB has an attack factor of 99, which is higher than any other weapon. I think that I tested this at the time and verified it, but can't remember for certain.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                        -- Kosh

Comment

In the SMAX game I'm playing now, the first since acquiring The Planetary Pack two weeks ago, I had gotten Doctrine:Flexibility from the Pirates extra early, so I decided to try for both the First Naval Vessel and First Prototype honors simultaneously (with a prototype 1-1-4 "gun patrol"). I got the FNV, but didn't get the FP because it wasn't a prototype.

What the hell?
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Chassis are automatically prototyped if there is a pre-designed unit using it:
                            Infantry - Prototyped by Scout Patrol.
                            Rover - Prototyped by the probe team.
                            Foil - Prototyped by Transport.

Comment

So it'salways been that way? I'd never noticed.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X