Battle Ogres Mk2 and 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Ogres Mk2 and 3?

Now, I am relatively new to Alien Crossfire, but, as of yet, I have never seen any of these. Is it just me being paranoid, or are they really so rare as to be virtually useless?
    We're back!
    http://www.civgaming.net/forums

I've gotten the 2 ogre before, but I've heard somewhere that the 3 ogre doesn't really exist.

Comment

It seems like this would be easy to test for someone with a lot of time on their hands. It may just be really really really rare, like getting a Unity Chopper--which has happened to me only twice in all my SMAC playing. But I think the game detects the current level of advancement of your faction, and won't give you a mark 2 or mark 3 Ogre unless you're advanced enough to get it. So what I think you'd have to do is make a huge world scattered with Unity Pods, gift all techs to all factions, and then pop all the pods to see what came out. Time-consuming, but if a Mark III exists, I bet you'd get one.

Comment

I think they will show up if you pop a pod late in the game. I have gotten choppers before, and unfriendly locusts, but no MK3s

Comment

I hate Ogres. They are useless. I once found a Mk2 Ogre and was bringing back to base when it was savagly attacked by mindworms and was down so low in health it wasn't worth keeping.
          "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
          "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
          "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

I've popped a Mark3, but it was about 2455 or so.

(And even 90% damaged ones are worth nursing back to base, for their minerals contribution alone)

G.

Comment

Wow, Googlie got a Mk III! I hope you got full enjoyment out of that nice 30-12-3 monster! Did it get a good long reign of terror?

Comment

. Do you think think the battle ogres are a tribute to the old (26 years ago) board and then miniatures game Ogre?

------------------
                Gauis Mucius Scaevola
                older richer & wiser than you
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Interesting...the fact that you know of that game says a lot about how old you are. I'm almost ashamed to admit it... but I still have one of the original bag versions of it. I did enjoy squashing heavy tanks and hovercrafts...

I do think the ogres of AC are a version of the ogres from that game - my opinion.

hroman21
                  "Laughter is the most powerful weapon ever created. Against laughter, nothing stands!"

Comment

I keep trying to build a Berserker faction.
                    About 10 Mark 3 Ogres. Cannot capture bases, must destroy all bases. Goal : Destroy all life. Massive minus on growth, industry, economy, everything.
                    Massive experience bonus. So they are all elite mark 3 ogres. One of those "try to stay alive against this faction" factions. I'll play vs them when I'm feeling reckless.

Comment

I, too, am an old Ogre fan. I have the expansion, G.E.V., in a plastic bag. My college buddies and I played alot more G.E.V. than Ogre. It brought Ogre from the realm of a fun niche game into a more fully fledged, customizeable wargame.

Did you ever get a chance to play Battlesuit? It was a soldier-level infantry combat spinoff from Ogre. The two games were incompatible, but Battlesuit was very interesting, too.

Ah, the days of the pocket wargame...
                      "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                      "That which does not kill me, missed." -- Anonymous war gamer
                      "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

I've found the ogres to be quite unbalancing. Pop an early pod, get an ogre, and go smash your nearest opponents capital.

Comment

Ogres are unbalancing in small small worlds, and against stupid opponents.
                          Force build a scout patrol every turn, he cannot get into your city. If you have to, have two cities doing this. If you have a mindworm, you can attack with them, and kill it off.
                          If not, just hold off the attack, the thing will wear down. Try to cut off his support units, though.
                          Oh well, most of my games are bigger maps, anyway, where Ogres are basically useful only as police/garrison.

Comment

WOW! Congrats Googlie! This is the first sighting of the legendary Mark III that I've ever heard about.

Has anyone tracked when MarkIIs appear? My original hypothesis of it being related to reactor type researched doesn't seem right. Is it possible that it is related to MY?

Comment

[quote Interesting...the fact that you know of that game says a lot about how old you are. quote]

More than 25 centuries (good latin word that) old. Help to kick the Etruscan Kings out of old Rome you know.

------------------
                              Gauis Mucius Scaevola
                              older richer & wiser than you
                              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                              X