Zakharov.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zakharov.....

Well, I began a Transcend game last night (left Ironman off for a change, because my intent was to fiddle around with the armored probe team thing, and I thought it'd be convenient to NOT get kicked out of the game for saving...lol). Anyway....I got....distracted, but it's such a good map that I could not resist:

It's a shade past 2200 right now (2207 if memory serves), I'm on a really big continent, sharing a small portion of it with Morgan (who has all of five bases). We fought a brief and unfortuate war in the 2145-2150 timeframe (okay, so it wasn't much of a war....I popped a pod, got a unity rover, explored til I found him, he told me that Chiron wasn't big enough for both of us, so I killed two colony pods and he ZOC-trapped my rover (pinned him to the coast) and killed him.....a few turns later, he sauntered a laser rover to my border and I gave him fifty credits to go away. A few turns later (right after I switched to Market), we signed a treaty and have been on friendly terms since.

I'm pursuing a classic ICS-Builder approach, with bases evenly spaced 3-squares apart. I've got an impressive list of SP's under my belt....the only three I've missed so far have been the Weather Paradigm (DRAT!), the Merchant Exchange (Yawn), and the Empath Guild (DOUBLE DRAT!).....other than that, I've snagged them all....VW, Command Nexus, Planetary Transit, Neural Amp., Genome, Maritime Control Center....it's been an amazing game thus far!

As mentioned, I had the good fortune to begin the game on a VERY big continent (25 bases so far, and I STILL have plenty of room for future growth before taking to the sea), and when I found Morgan, I directed my expansion efforts that direction to choke him off. Eventually I'll buy four of his bases out from under him, but for now he's okay.

My army consists of Clean Trance Scouts (1 per base), and each base has a former and a sea former (or two formers, if the base is not coastal), who are all busily scurrying around....terraforming. The effect of this (I have not yet switched to Dem, 'cause I'm still founding bases) is that none of my bases have to pay any support cost at all, which has speeded the development of my infrastructure.

Additionally, my build order has been somewhat changed for most recent bases. I am now doing this....mostly, because the empire has gotten big enough that I can afford it:

Base Build
    Rush a Former
    Rush a Trained Scout
    Upgrade Trained Scout to Clean Trance
    Begin work on Pressure Dome (Skipping Rec. Tanks)
    Second Former or Rec. Commons, whichever is most needed.

Save for the most recently founded bases, the vast majority have everything up to treefarms and are currently working on Hybrid Forests. I saved the game just before I make the changes necessary for a boom. I'm already unsurpassed, and leading the field in population, and when the boom hits, I'll be so far ahead of the pack it won't even be funny....well, actually it will, but....hehehe...

All that to say that this is probably the most efficient game I have played to date.....it is true that I've played other games where I've been able to build my treefarms earlier than I did in this instance, but mostly, I am referring to scale....and in this game, having 25 reasonably well developed bases in just over a hundred years, and prepping for a population boom which will nearly triple my population.....a stunning position indeed.

Save at 2207(?) available if you want it, and I'll prolly save every 10-20 turns from here out.....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

What I would really like to have is the starting position. Then I could play to 2207 and swap with you.

Actually I would like to play it twice, once as a builder, and once in a more aggressive style.

It would be interesting to compare.

Of course, you don't have the file, right?

Comment

My two cents' worth:

Now, I really am more of a Hybrid player, but my Hybrid style is pretty Builderesque [Buildery? Builderacious?]. I love playing Zak using the ICS close pack and rapid expansion, but a word to the wise: DRONES. After those first six bases, you may expand to the point where a one-citizen base is Droning. I prefer to race [run, don't walk] to Industrial Automation, start pumping out Supply Crawlers, and use them to construct both Human Genome Project and Virtual World as soon as humanly possible. I haven't done the math, but once you pass a certain number of bases, even the high cost of these special projects is less than building and maintaining Rec Commons in every base. And with those two projects I have yet to find a practical limit to my expansion.

Comment

Builderisky?

Rynn

Comment

Velociryx - it sounds like I overdefend my cities big time. I'd be really sweating without my (at least) two defenders. Have you lost any cities to the natives? How about airpower? The AI must be getting close, if they don't have it already.

It still takes me about 80-90 years for my first air units to come off line. (Considerably longer in SMACX) Usually the AI isn't far behind.

Scott - tell me your secret to getting crawlers so quickly. Blind=off? By the time I've got crawlers Genome is long gone. For the early SPs I'll generally use cash & AAs to overcome the AIs production advantage.
          [This message has been edited by RedFred (edited November 04, 1999).]

Comment

Read Vel's strat guide if you havnt yet. Its helped me a bunch getting a nice jump early. I've taken his advice in forgoing the free unit to guard and rush building a former. Even after that you really dont need more than one defender per base till later in the game, and then only on the front lines. I've yet to see the AI rush early with a sizable force, and one defender in a base can hold his own against any single attacker that isnt considerably stronger, and has no problems repelling the worms. Even later in the game I only have one garrison per base in the center of my realm, with two max at the others. Defensive bonuses for a base are exceedingly potent. I've only occasionally lost undefended bases to worms or opposing factions early, and its not a terrible loss. Consider this: If you are moving full ahead with expansion, you will be able to replace that base in no time, and since its a pop 1 base, if an opponet takes it they wont be able to claim it, only destroy it.

Comment

I have prepared a game challenge for Velociryx.

"CAG" Comparative Analysis Game

Huge random map, 50-70% water, dense cloud cover, weak erosive forces, average indigenous life forms.

All victory conditions enabled. No random events. Look first.

Faction: University of Planet.
              Difficulty Level: Transcend

Stipulation: No cheating, ACOL PBEM rules are in force as applicable. Standard alpha.txt file must be used.

Goal: Transcend before jimmytrick

Method: Starting position to be mailed to
              Velociryx. Both participants play from the same starting position.

Projected Outcome: (jimmytrick's odds)

Vel is a 7-5 favorite, expected margin of victory, 8 mission years.

Anyone prepared to make a wager.

I'll put a hundred bucks on myself just to make it interesting, who wants to hold the dough.

Lt. Col. jtrick
              Confederacy of Chiron

Comment

May have to revise the odds. AnnC of the CoC is going to play as well.

Mandatory saves every ten mission years starting at 2140. Please. For comparison.

Anybody else want to play? Open challenge.

Everybody has to agree that you only get one pass at this. Okay. No restarts.

Comment

WOW.....I love it! And I accept! Got your sav file in the maile for starting position, and I will begin this evening!

-=Vel=-

PS: We should prolly open a new thread and post our event logs on....whatcha think?
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Well, I think we should be careful about posting details that might give away stuff like map locations for AI factions.

Otherwise sure. I kinda hate keeping a log, but I'll jot down a note or two.

Just so you guys can learn a thing or two.

Comment

MY 2140

Ten techs in hand, eight researched, one from a data pod, one acquired in a trade. Two factions contacted. Six base, eight pop, and Gene Splicing in 3 turns. One SP underway.

Alpha Centauri score of 18.

I have not yet seen an artifact.

Comment

This is my inaugural post at Apolyton. Testing.
                        ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Vel's Event Log:

The First Forty:
                          2102 - Founded University Base

2103 - Founded Baikonur

2108: Tech Advance! Biogenetics

2112: Tech Advance! Social Psych

2117: Tech Advance! Secrets of the Human Brain - Freebie tech taken: Planetary Networks

2125: Tech Advance! Industrial Base
                          Also founded Relativity School

2127: Founded Zarya Sunrise

2130: Switching to Planned

2136: Tech Advance! Industrial Economics
                          Also founded Zoloto Gold

2139: Founded Mir Lab

Stats at 2140:
                          6 Bases
                          Income - 4 per turn
                          Techs coming every 9
                          # of Techs: 7
                          Score: 18
                          Pop: 10

No contacts

Ranking = Unsurpassed

Active units:
                          6 Formers
                          3 Scouts
                          2 Trance Scouts

In Production:
                          3 Colony Pods
                          2 Trance Scouts

Lost in Action:
                          None

Segment # 2 - Game to 2150:

2145: Tech Advance! Industrial Automation
                          Adding Wealth to the SE Equation
                          Met a faction and traded Industrial Automation for a treaty of friendship

2146: Founded Monitoring Station

2148: Founded Otkrietia Discovery and Koppernik Observatory

2150 Stats:
                          # of bases: 9 (my max for the moment)
                          # of techs: 9
                          Score: 24
                          Pop = 15
                          Income = 11/turn
                          Techs coming every six

Active Units:
                          9 Formers
                          3 Scouts
                          5 Trance Scouts
                          2 Unity Rovers

Production:
                          2 Trance Scouts

Still Ranked unsurpassed.

[This message has been edited by Velociryx (edited November 06, 1999).]

Comment

Game to 2160:

2151: Tech Advance! Centauri Empathy

2159: Tech Advance! Ethical Calc.

* No other significant game events.....began three SP's this segment, but it'll be a while on them.....

Force Totals:
                            Holding at 9 bases
                            Pop = 21
                            # of techs = 11

Income = 9 per turn
                            Techs in 8
                            Score = 32

Active Force Total:
                            9 Formers
                            3 Scouts
                            2 Unity Rovers
                            7 Trance Scouts

In Production:
                            2 Supply Crawlers

No losses to date.

Next Segment to 2170:

2161: Switching from Planned to Market

2164: Tech Advance! Gene Splicing!

2167: Founded Budushii Dvor & Climactic Research

2168: Tech Advance! Eccological Engineering

2169: Founded Mendelev College

2170: Founded Gagarin Memorial

Game Stats:

# of Techs = 13
                            Income = 31/turn
                            Score = 36
                            Techs coming in 5

****Additional Information****
                            Force Totals for the 2170 Segment:

Active:
                            9 Formers
                            3 Scout Patrols
                            3 Supply Crawlers
                            2 Unity Rovers
                            7 Trance Scout Garrisons

In Production:
                            2 Formers
                            4 Supply Crawlers
                            3 Trance Scout Garrisons

Killed in Action (vs. Marauding Mindworms)
                            1 Trance Scout Garrison
                            1 Former

-=Vel=-

[This message has been edited by Velociryx (edited November 06, 1999).]

Comment

Report from the Lt. Colonel:

MY 2150. I finally found an artifact...now I have to figure how to get it home.

My stats in Vel format:

2150 Stats:
                              # of bases: 7
                              # of techs: 13
                              Score: 26
                              Pop = 13
                              Income = 12/turn
                              Techs coming every 13

Active Units:
                              8 Formers
                              2 Scouts
                              5 Trance Scouts