SMAC/PS:T musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC/PS:T musings

I don't know if anyone else here has played Planescape: Torment, but when thinking about what made SMAC such a satisfying experience, a few parallels sprang to mind.

In each, the game was a 'non-standard' version of a well-accepted genre (CRPG/4X respectively.) In each, new and interesting game mechanics were tied into the unique setting and 'worked' for that setting, whether they would have worked for a generic game or not. in each, the evolving story was as much part of the reason to keep playing as the challenges of the game itself. And in both cases while critically acclaimed they never made as much impression as their more vanilla counterparts (the Baldur's Gate/IWD series and the CIV series) respectively and weren't followed up (I'm trying desperately to forget SMACX was ever made )

Anyhow, just a random observation subject to comment if anyone else out there knows them both?

Isn't PS:T a subscription game? Bleh.

And what's wrong with SMAX!?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

No its not Tass. Its an IE game, and very special. Like SMAC its also pretty hard to get hold of, it didn't sell to the mainstream, and it has a hardcore of fans who are always shouting for a sequel that may never come

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Interesting comparison between the two games, and I agree that there's a similarity. Both are definitely classics within their genre, and I'd say both games are in my top 10 or even 5.

Comment

Working...
        X