Best time to build a colony pod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time to build a colony pod?

I need a quick answer for a MP game and can't do the research just now. Should I rush build a colony pod just before a base grows, or time it to build & grow on the same turn, or build the turn after the base grows? Thanks in advance.

BTW, another unrelated queation. If you pack with a human player in a MP game are both maps automatically exchanged? I just started MP and although I'm in the midsts of a few games I've been avoiding packs so far. Thanks

Base production is calculated before growth, so you need to let the base grow to size two, and only then rush the colony pod.

When you pact with a human player, the maps are not changed automatically.

Comment

Any, unless your base is size 1. The sooner the better
      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
        Any, unless your base is size 1. The sooner the better
        Best time, when your base is a size one and you have planetary transit. Instant pop growth from 1 to 3.

Other wise I would agree the other best time is as soon as possible.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

How about this situation.

If there are no viable base sites within 5 moves of your base and your base has two or more decent nutrient bonuses you can use.

In that case I would think it might be better to build a former to road up to the new base site then rush build the colony pod to match when the road to the new base site is completed. If enough food is gathered while waiting for the former to build across to the new base site, the base will regrow immediately when the colony pod is created.

I think this will allow you to get more resources than just immediately building a colony pod, as the worker will be harvesting a very productive square rather than spending time slowly making it's way to the new base site.

I know when I was analysing a certain CMN map that had two +5 nutrient bonuses within range of the starting base I figured out that it was better let the two workers gather enough food for a instant regrow of the base (while the former also roaded up to the next base site), before building a colony pod.

I think in the very early game (under 5 bases) the best way to go about it is to maximise food production. So you have to play the game out in your head and see what gives you the most nutrient and ultimately population.

In the majority of cases you get more nutrient by planting a new base and getting the +2 free nutrients from the base square of your new base. Sometimes that isn't the case.

Comment

Working...
          X