scenario editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scenario editor

To me, it seems to take months to make a scenario with 7 sides built up. ( playing each side sequentially each turn) Does anybody have any way to make make a scenario faster?

Thank you.

Re: scenario editor

Originally posted by d=me
    To me, it seems to take months to make a scenario with 7 sides built up. ( playing each side sequentially each turn) Does anybody have any way to make make a scenario faster?

Thank you.
    Heah d=me,

can you be more specific with your statement? If I am reading you correctly, your playing each Faction sequentially in order to build them up: is this correct?
    There is a section in The SMAC Academy dealing with how to use the game's Scenario Editor. FYI in case you haven't read this, as its a very good tutorial. I have used the Scenario Editor for over a year now, and, after a lot of practice, have become pretty handy with it.

D

Comment

Many of the things that need to be done to beef up the starting situation, if that is what you are talking about, can be done in a sort of hodge-podge order via the scenario editors. As I recall Googlie's article, it covers the initial setup very well ; it gets the factions set up and initializes all their preferences, techs, etc, and putting down units. but does not give much guidance when it comes to creating and enhancing bases, or much about how to set alien (Native Life) lurkers or try to get the computer controlled factions to do what you might want. Goog's guide gets you off to a great start, however, so it is a good idea to use it as a script or checklist.

Bases can be placed by first placing Colony Pods on the sites, switching to the appropiate faction with the Scenario editor, toggling the ScenEditor (so you are in play mode), and then starting the Bases (with the "B" command as you would in the game), then toggle the scenario editor back to its editing mode (one of those modes is considered 'activated', but I don't remember which mode that is). Cycle through each faction as necessary to get whatever bases started that youi wish.

Once the bases exist, the ScenEditor can add facilities (prerequsite techs can be temporarily added, just as for units) and population in its edit mode (various additional buttons and options appear on certain standard screens when in the ScenEd and can be easily overlooked as the rest of the screen looks so familiar). This can save you a lot of time compared to playing the factions, allthough once you've got everything set up, you can reset the year to whatever you want, so even if you play a few turns, you can turn back the clock.

The downside is that the ScenEd is a bit quirky, the more so when you are still early in the learning curve, and sometimes it does nasty things, like abruptly exiting and ditching all your currently unsaved stuff . It is also possible to get scenarios into such an effed up condition that they seemingly cannot be repaired, whether by its fault or the users, so I highly recommend making a sequence of backups (lest you replace your last good version with an effed up one before you learn that is is bad) and to make these backups at fairly frequent intervals. I usually also save the map separately whenever I make changes to it I would not want to have to redo. It is not a bad idea to try out the scenario occasionally just to make sure it doesn't have some horrible defect that could set you back many generations of backups to recover from.

Once you get the hang of it though, it can be quite powerful and while not exactly unmitigated pleasure, still 'not bad'. If the ScenEd gives you too much trouble, perhaps you will feel better if you just put a couple of interesting 'surprises' next to the likely base sites or lurking in the middle of a group of resource bonuses .

Good luck and have some of that 'not bad'.
      Last edited by johndmuller; November 19, 2003, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by johndmuller
        a couple of interesting 'surprises' next to the likely base sites or lurking in the middle of a group of resource bonuses
        I consider myself warned.

Comment

Re: Re: scenario editor

Originally posted by Darsnan

Heah d=me,

can you be more specific with your statement? If I am reading you correctly, your playing each Faction sequentially in order to build them up: is this correct?

D
          Yes you're correct. when I tried to do things such as placing a unit and that unit is still a prototype, it will stay as a prototype unless the base actually builds it. So it got into a wired situation as a faction already got the unit but it's still in the development stage( is a prototype). Also, when I choose the research path (no blind research) for a faction and toggles the auto discovery, the research rate does not go down. eg. the game believes that applied relativity is the first tech I am researching. Therefore, I'm playing all factions sequentially to build them up and I predict that it will take too long. So thats my problem.

Comment

The 'prototype' thing can be toggled by one of those extra buttons - this one in the Design Workshop, IIRC - that appear when using the ScenEd.

I'm not familiar with how the research costs work when you add a lot of techs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the costs weren't adjusted if you just add in the techs in the ScenEd (OTOH, some scenario-based PBEMs I've been in seem to have initial research costs that seem excessive compared to SP, so there could be some countervailing factor at work too). You might be able to balance out lower than desired tech costs by giving the affected faction(s) a research penalty (in the -faction-.txt files), although that could also trigger the 'Miriam Penalty' of no research points for 10 years; or you could use tech stagnation if you didn't mind applying it to everyone the same.

Comment

Working...
            X