Your SE settings in real life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your SE settings in real life?

What social choises would you pick in real life? In politics democracy can seem an obvious choise but what about economics or values? I made the poll about economics since it's the most polemic

I happen to have this opinion about planned economy that it shouldn't have -2 efficiency because in the future when computers can calculate all the plans so actually it could be backwards. meh :P this is just my opinion
    Simple
    7.89%
    Free Market
    23.68%
    Planned
    23.68%
    Green
    44.74%
    Just walk away.

I'd go for a Planned Democratic Knowledge state in real life.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Green, Democratic, Eudaimonic, Knowledge. Of course. Most pleasant that way...

Comment

what's wrong with police state + free market?
        Just walk away.

Comment

Fundy, green and knowledge.

"Worship! Plant trees! Read books!"

Comment

Fundy, green and knowledge
            Now that's a SICK society to live in

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Should have asked: What are your aversion settings :P Maybe I will do so in the near future
              Just walk away.

Comment

A mix between FM, Planned and Green of course.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

touché.... (glares)
                  Just walk away.

Comment

Why that's simple... simple. Heck, the way my life goes it's more like Frontier/Simple/None.

Barter system and Old West vigilantism all the way, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

Now that's a SICK society to live in

-Jam
                      Why do you say that?

Hell, any of the religions that promote caring for the earth and being studious and scholarly are like that... Judaism, anyone?

Comment

Simple.
                        Burn all currency. It has no real value.
                        Share and share alike, but "If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat."

My full set would be Fundamentalist (conservative, not radical), Simple (but friendly with Green), Knowledge (I have no need for Power, and Wealth is irrelevant (you can't take it with you)), Cybernetic (but friendly with Eudaimonic).

Result: +3 Efficiency (exemplary) +1Morale (+1) -3Police (one extra drone if more than one military unit away from base) +2Planet (ecological harmony; mind worm capture 50%) +2Research (labs research speeded by 20%).
                        Last edited by gwillybj; November 16, 2003, 19:32.
                        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

In real life, I'd most likely lean towards...

Police State (Benevolent dictator, with proper checks and balances on the system. There comes a point where a rule by the masses becomes rule by the mob. People, collectivly, are stupid. If we're talking a world government, for it to be directly elected would cause great problems.)

Free Market (No computer can predict the whims of man. We can give the people what they need perhaps, but we cannot satisfy their other desires with an economy of no material incentives)

Wealth or Knowledge (Knowledge is wealth itself, and power. It is as much of a currency as money. We should always aim to better ourselves, but people will work harder towards that with an incentive, be it by a desire for material gain, or a passion for discovery. The desire for material gain, of course, is the incentive that will drive the masses, thus why not encourage it, and bring about the discoveries quicker?)

Cybernetic (The flesh is not sacred. It is simply a tool for survival. But the body need not be flesh, and if we can improve on the body, then why not do so?)
                          Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

My favored SE settings, in order of importance:

1. Free Market: All other economic systems are a clumsy attempt to control basic human nature, and invariably those living under them are worse off for it.

2. Democracy: While democracy can in some circumstances devolve into the tyranny of mediocrity, a Police State isn't a benevolent democracy, but a brutal regime that represses any form of dissent. Demo isn't perfect, but it's the best we've done in 5000 years.

3. Wealth: This one's a no-brainer. A society based on increasing the quality of life for it's citizens. Sign me up.

4. Eudaimonia: I am leery of even including this one, but I have to admit, a society that can give everyone something meaningful to contribute to the common good, within the scope of their talents and preferences would be the idea one, to my mind. Probably unattainable, but still worth reaching for.

Comment

Right now my life is something akin to Demo/Planned/None.

Ideally, I'd probably opt for Fundy/Green/Knowledge/Cybernetic.

One can always dream, eh?
                              "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Working...
                              X