SMACX - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACX - is it worth it?

SMAC is a great game, and I was originally going to get SMAC-X straight away, but all that changed after I played the demo. So is it really worth getting SMACX, solely for the seven new factions and a handful of new techs?
    We're back!
    http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Depends on what you like or don't like about SMAC. One of the best assests of SMAC is the balance between the factions. Sure you have the Hive horde or the Zelot witch, but all the factions balance and contrast each other.

Now SMAX pretty much destroyed that balance with the seven new factions, but what they lack in anti-cohesion the game gains in new abilities such as techshare. Also there are a host of new unit abilities, buildings and special projects that in my mind greatly enhance the game.

My suggestion is to keep playing SMAC untill you get tired of seeing the same faces game after game doing the same things over and over, then buy SMAX.

Comment

I like it because of the new units, abilities, and projects. I think the new factions are too unbalancing to use against the computer or other people in multiplayer games, but who am I to say? I also like it because it fixed the most annoying bug of all, the maintenance costs of facilities and I think artillery is a bit more effective.

Comment

Hmmm......great, thanks guys, it looks like I will be getting SMACX after all. I agree that the maintenance cost bug is incredibly annoying, as you can never really see the true state of your finnaces. I'm also glad about the artillery, as it is next to useless in SMAC.

Unbalancing? Let's hope they offer a bit more of a challenge, that's all I can say. I'm also eager to learn exactly what techshare is!

Thanks for the input guys, I'll nip into town tomorrow!
        We're back!

Comment

One of the new factions, the Data Angles, have a special abilitiy called tech share. Tech share works exactly like the SP (forget the name) where you learn a tech when another three factions have that tech. So you get one of the early/mid SPs for free!

Enjoy,

Comment

Also be sure to get the patch... it fixes some of the promblems of the origional release

Comment

There is one important difference between the Planetary Datalinks SP and the DataJacks Techshare ability. You must have the three factions infiltrated as the Datajacks for their ability to work. This isn't a problem if you are the planetary governor, or get the Empath Guild SP, but it DOES mean you won't start getting free tech right from the beginning of the game.
              Fitz. (n.) Old English
              1. Child born out of wedlock.
              2. Bastard.

Comment

Yes it does bring some new faction abilities you can play with if you like creating your own factions as well...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Aren't the Datajacks a bit like the University anyway? So what use would this ability be, as you would always get the tech before anyone else.

Strange.....
                  We're back!

Comment

Mark13,

Datajacks/DataAngels are in fact nothing like UoP. UoP is a faction designed to research to the hilt (ala +2 research and free net nodes). Angels could be considered to be the opposite of UoP in that they are designed to steal techs and or steal units/bases via their inherent +2 probe and techshare=3 abilities.

So on the one hand UoP is considered to be the tech kings via hard work and research (albeit some of it via questionable ethics) vs. Angels considered to be the tech scourges via tech stealing etc. Other nuances of SE +'s and -'s aside.

Hope this helps

Og
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ogie,

Thanks for clearing that one up, it is all clear to me now......
                      We're back!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 09-26-2000 01:36 PM
                        There is one important difference between the Planetary Datalinks SP and the DataJacks Techshare ability. You must have the three factions infiltrated as the Datajacks for their ability to work. This isn't a problem if you are the planetary governor, or get the Empath Guild SP, but it DOES mean you won't start getting free tech right from the beginning of the game.

I recently played a game with the Angels, built the Empath Guild and was elected planetary gov. I got no free techs, even though I could "see" from my infiltration that at least three other factions had several techs that I didn't have. So, has anyone else received free techs (as the Angels) merely by having the EG or being planetary gov? I thought beforehand that the info in the above quote was accurate, but now I'm thinking that you get free techs as the Angels only from infiltration by probes.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                        -- Kosh

Comment

You must need the v2 patch, the original version had some issues with special abilities.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but I have already applied patch 2 (the file smacxpv2.exe, right?).
                            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                            -- Kosh

Comment

Having the Empath Guild is enough, but the ability does not work for techs the others already have - only the ones that are researched after you get the Guild/the Governorship/enough infiltrators. So if one more of the other factions discovers the tech from then on, you should get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X