Econ Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econ Victory

i've achieved all 4 regular kinds of victory against the pc(I don't have the expansion).
    Chances are that if I can win at conquest, then I can go the cheap route, leave one last base to the opposition and get the other 3 kinds of victory as and when I need to. Recently I've found out that I can get a conquest victory before any other type of victory is possible.
    On the other hand, I may be in a position where I am militarily at a disadvantage but have enough votes to swing the planetary council- i.e. I can win a diplomatic victory but am not currently in a position to win any other way.
    I can even get to the end of the game by being offensive and avoiding too much conflict but definitely not being dominant in any way, and then buy the ascent to transcendence to project.
    However, I've never been in a position where I can corner the energy market, but am not immediately in a position for a conquest victory.

Are there people here who have got into a position where you're militarily weak, are not far enough in the game to ascend to transcendence and lack a massive population, but have excellent finance?

meh. usually a good finance means good in tech. Being good in tech means owning
    Just walk away.

Comment

Never done an econ win either. The amount of ecs needed are HUGE!

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

There are some quirks in economic victory. Basically, the cost should be approximately the same as a mind control of all bases which are not yours or your pactmate's, IIRC. But there were reports of some ridiculous cheap econ victories which may be related to an integer overflow.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Did anyone figure out whether improving your probe rating reduces the cost of cornering the market?

Comment

Re: Econ Victory

Originally posted by swillwater
            1. i've achieved all 4 regular kinds of victory against the pc(I don't have the expansion).
            However, I've never been in a position where I can corner the energy market, but am not immediately in a position for a conquest victory.

2. Are there people here who have got into a position where you're militarily weak, are not far enough in the game to ascend to transcendence and lack a massive population, but have excellent finance?
            1. If you are near a Wal-Mart you can buy 'The Laptop Collection', which contains both SMAC and SMAX, for less than $20.00. I have also heard that Cosco's also has it.

2. I have never tried to win with an Econ victory. If I understand correctly, you have to raise an enormous amount of ECs and then other factions get 10 (or is it 20) years to try to defeat you. I would think that if you were able to raise the required capital, and were able to hold off attacks from all the other factions for 10-20 years, then you are probably in a good position to win by one of the other methods and finish the game more quickly than by an Econ victory.

I suspect that CEO Aaron, if anyone, has tried to win by this method.

Sounds like going for this victory might be a good basis for a challenge.

Mead

Comment

CEO, it almost certainly would, wouldn't it? Since buying the individual bases would be cheaper? Or is the price based on the cost for buying bases with a zero probe rating? That would be dumb.

USC
              "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Comment

Re: Re: Econ Victory

Originally posted by Mead

1. If you are near a Wal-Mart you can buy 'The Laptop Collection', which contains both SMAC and SMAX, for less than $20.00. I have also heard that Cosco's also has it.
                What does that have to do with anything?
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

He said that he didn't have the add-on disc.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I've seen 3000 credits at the 2nd lowest difficulty level, the AI hardly did anything except fight each other. I just sat on my island and build, though they declare war at me.

Comment

Re: Re: Econ Victory

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Mead

>1. If you are near a Wal-Mart you can buy 'The Laptop Collection', which contains both SMAC and SMAX, for less than $20.00. I have also heard that Cosco's also has it.

I don't think that my local costco does, but thanks for the tip.

Comment

I've played as the Hive once and made a pactmate of Morgan. He pacted with as many people as he could and then bought the victory. I immediately terminated my pact and declared war, but I wasn't able to capture his headquarters quickly enough.

That little debacle told me it's no good underestimating the econ win!
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I tried the econ victory as Morgan for fun in a PBEM game. I was pacted with almost everyone and making so much money it was obscene - as I recall I only had to save for less than 5 years to get the necessary bankroll. No one was able to touch me (or I'd squish them like a bug), and I coasted to victory.

The 'reward' was...nothing! There was no nifty movie, nada. It was a major letdown if you ask me. I can see it now:

Morgan strides over to his desk and picks up a prominently placed holo crystal. He slips it into the reader: Liquid assets at 57%, and profit margins up 4% in the last quarter. Minority owners assigned non-voting proxies; remaining entities liquidated. Final adjudication, no significant remaining independent competitors. Transaction complete.

Morgan looks up and out of his penthouse window, shocked at the ease of the worldwide economic takeover. He had Chiron by the throat, and now he had to decide when to squeeze.

Comment

I win by economic victory with morgan all the time. At least in SP.

Morgan + Infinate sprawl + borehole at each base = No contest.
                            Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X