No announcement yet.

Which leader has best quotes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You people are looking at this all wrong. None of the quotes are deep (except a few from the datalinks). What makes them good is the feel they give to the game. I think these are the best quotes:

1. "I don't know but I've been told/ Deirdre got a network node./ Likes to press the on/off switch./ Dig that crazy Gaia witch." - Network Node.

2. "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people." - Recycling Tanks.

3. "Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though - it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets." - Organic Superlubricant.

4. "You are the children of a dead planet, earthdeirdre, and this death we do not comprehend. We shall take you in, but may we ask this question - will we too catch the planetdeath disease?" - Advanced Ecological Engineering.

5. "Mary had a little lamb, Little lamb little lamb, Mary had a little lamb, Whose fleece was white as snow." -The Dream Twister.

6. "I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice." - The Longevity Vaccine.

7. "The first living thing to go through the device was a small white rat. I still have him, in fact. As you can see, the damage was not so great as they say." - Matter Transmission.

8. "I swear sometimes they're watching me." - Self-Aware Machines.

9. "Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony.
    We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours - the works.
    People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Hologram Theatre.

10. "I shall not confront Planet as an enemy, but shall accept its mysteries as gifts to be cherished. Nor shall I crudely seek to peel the layers away like the skin from and onion. Instead I shall gather them together as the tree gathers the breeze. The wind shall blow and I shall bend. The sky shall open and I shall drink my fill." - The Weather Paradigm.
    Who exactly lives in the United Nations? If you are a hobo and you sleep in front of the U.N. building, does that count?

Comment

No, actually I prefer to look into the quotes for the meanings rather than take them as simple stylistic windowdressing.

I believe SMAC's quotes are unsurpassed for the amount of philosophy in them.

If I want quick-quip laughs and jokes, I'll play Warcraft III.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Nah. Some of the quotes from Nietzche are interesting, if you know the context. Same goes for Aristotle's and the one from Plato's Symposium. I like some of the poems, particularly the one by Coleridge (when you build the Paradise Garden.) I admit that a few of Yang's quotes have some cute philosophical points, such as the Genejack Factory quote or even the Virtual World quote, though that one has a couple of holes philosophically. But those are not very developed arguments. You can't develop a deep philosophical argument in a couple of lines. Otherwise it's not deep. And Yang's quotes are not deep. They are cute, and that's all. But the great thing about them is that they sound deep. Whoever wrote them knew what he was doing. When you hear those quotes you get the feeling that there actually is a "Looking God in the Eye" or "Essays on Mind and Matter" and you want to read them. There is still no depth to the philosophy, though. It's window-dressing. There's nothing wrong with that. And it's not all quick-quip laughs and jokes, either. It gives depth to the game. But it is not philosophy.
        Who exactly lives in the United Nations? If you are a hobo and you sleep in front of the U.N. building, does that count?

Comment

Some are truly freaky, make you wonder what happened. Headquarters, Tachyon Field, Inertial Damping, Temple of Planet, Psi Gate...
          I am timotheus4 of SimCity 4 fame, recently discovered the wonder of Alpha Centauri and EU2!

Comment

Are Yang's quotes 'deep'?
            Certainly - but deep in which direction?
            His 'arguments' have holes, of course. That can't easily be said for Nietzsche or Aristotle.

Need some quotes? I go with Diedre and Voice/Planet.
            Of course, How sick do I become after hearing "Eternity lies ahead of us..." for the 100th time...

I am still unable to find the Arrogance in what Zakharov says... you folk mention that it exists, but I can't find it.

Comment

Working...
            X