Tech options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech options

This is something I have been wondering for the last couple of months that I have been playing smac...how does the computer choose what tech you can choose to research at any one time. It doesn't present all the possible techs that you can research, like normally at the start you can choose most, so I normally pick biogenetics or social psych so I can try to get Secrets of the brain quickly, but sometimes after I have researched one, I can't pick the other and another faction gets secrets first while I waiting to be able to pick the other pre-requisite. It makes it really hard to plan your tech paths properly when you know you have the pre-requisites, but can't choose the tech.
    Thanks

I wondered precisely the same thing.

I think it's a random thing, never tested it though.
    Civilisation means European civilisation. there is no other...
    (Mustafa Kemal Pasha)

Comment

It's random, with a 77% probability you won't have the option of getting what you need to research.

Seriously - I read - I think in a Tim Train or Chris Pine interview - that if two techs are needed for the next level, and you have one, if there are other same level techs available you will be offered these first.

e.g. you have, say,SoHB and want Cent Ecology to get to Cent Empathy. It will offer you any other level one tech you haven't got, before it looks at your research preferences. Then, say, you have Build/Conquer as your prefs, it will lead you thru the math/chemistry/loyalty level 2's before offering the level 1 Cent Ec.

I recall something to the effect that they had a "not greater than 10% diff" in the Explore/Discover/Build/Conquer bar graphs.

But that was over a year ago, in the old OWO forums. Any other oldtimers remember?

Googlie

Comment

I believe there was a thread on these boards regarding that problem maybe a month ago. I'll have a look and bump it for you.
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Thanks people, I was sure there was some reason behind it, and not completely random as I had noticed certain patterns. Looks like its a way of adding 'extra' pre-requisites...sorta.

Comment

Working...
          X