Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with the Drone's special ability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play the Drones a lot and never got bases (from the AI, that is). It is also surprisingly hard to incite drone riots in an AI base and keep it this way, even after multiple probe actions and destroying all psych-related facilities. Anyway, I guess the game works that way that only player bases may flip on rioting. So only in a MP game a Drone player could benefit from this trait.

Has anyone ever seen an AI base flip due to riots? Maybe it's more of a "AI bases don't flip" thing.

Nevertheless, even without flipping, the Drones are one of the most powerful factions due to their nearly unlimited ICS ability. Usually, on 0 EFFICIENCY, I start with 9 bases on huge maps. With the Drones, I go to 18 in almost the same time thanks to their -1 drone and +2 INDUSTRY.
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I have only seen it occur when an AI switches to FM with an army out wandering.
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

With the Drones, I go to 18 in almost the same time thanks to their -1 drone and +2 INDUSTRY.
        And boy, on a huge map you can definitely have your cake (the WP) and eat it too (the HGP) with the drones, due to quickly-built explorers gobbling up pods and generating artifacts like there's no tomorrow... that is, if you even need artifacts. If some sucker AI is willing to give you Information Networks and Industrial Economics -- two measly techs -- (since they'll usually refuse Planetary Networks), it's amazing how fast you can start chucking out SC's.

USC
        "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Comment

I have only normal SMAC but I can often see bases changing owners during a riot - but never between two AI-s. It is easy to get AI-s bases. You see for base to revolt you need two things: first - it has to be in state in revolt for two turns.
          SECOND - all base citizens have to be drones

I used this knowledge to steal friendly AI bases with SPs, but it is pretty unfair towards the computer. You need to make sure that AI is running a FM and then produce a half of dozen scout patrols. Move them near target base and transfer unit control (it works better if the target base is already in state of drone riots because AI is suspiciously able to mange it). Next turn a popup will anounce that the drone tributes have chosen to join you .
          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

This is a little different question but kind of related. What would happen if the revolting base has an SP? Would the SP now belongs to the faction that the base revolting to or will it now belongs to none? In a MP game I played I found under some SPs where it says who built it it says "none".
            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

It belongs to the new owner of the bae, just as if the base had been captured by military action.

the 'none' desgnation arises when the base containg that SP has been destroyed (too small to survive occupation by the enemy, obliterated, or eliminated by PB or nerve gas) or, some CMNs eliminate a SP at game's start by the means of scenario editor - building that SP in a base and then obliterating it.

Comment

Working...
              X