Thread about nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread about nothing

I still love the Believer music from SMAC 4. Damn those guys! They messed up good when they failed to add it to SMACX.

I played a semi-newby this morning. He's a pretty good sport. I played him last night too. I beat him pretty good both times, but he never gave up. I had to tell him that there was no chance left for him. He didn't know the difference. Bless him.

Anyway, in the game this morning I whipped the stink out of the Spartan AI. She was in the jungle and she was cocky. I had a chance to get some good production before the war while she beat up Dee. Then it was a stalemate until I got AMA and switched to Power. I had a bunch of impact rovers and they all turned to elite. 10 or so I think. I also had some elite impact infantry. I knocked her on her you know what when I switched to Power. The drums were playing and all. Yeah, I will play anyone SMAC as long as I can be the Believers.

This is a thread about nothing so anyone can say anything here.

BTW, does anybody know if there is a way to fix the sound for the Believers so it is the same as it is in regular SMAC? Maybe there is a fix file or something somewhere.

Comment

Well, for me this was a thread about everything (almost), because that's exactly what I was asking desperately back at "help". That is, if there is a way to select the background music / sound no matter what faction you're playing. For example the Believers and the Spartans have the most relaxing background sound (the chorus and the wind), and I would prefer to hear that sound while playing for example UoP. With SMAX things are horrible. It's the same sound whatever faction you may select and the sound itself is unbearable (according to my tastes). I always switch the sound off when playing SMAX. Indeed, any help would be appreciated.

Comment

You know, I've never played with the sound(the music, that is). Should I start? I think I will.

Oh, and doncha just hate Miriam? Seems like she is always just begging to get run over. I mean, here I am, minding my own business in my empire, and she always attacks. Makes me sick, it does.

------------------
        My sorry excuse for a website

Comment

That is a good point. She is the most hated faction out there. And I supect the the biggest haters of Miriam are those that can't run fundy well or even at all. You can keep peace with her if you do that, but it does make the game tough. The alternative is conquering her, and that is almost always more costly than beneficial. If you can run Fundy and join her against her enemies you might do pretty good. Eventually, you will have to take her on. I think it would be very difficult to win running Fundy 24/7 unless you did it momentum style.

On the music, I don't think the Believers have the same music as the Spartans. The Spartans have the wind, but the Believers don't. The Believers have base drums when the is combat or declaration of war. They have special conquering music too. It' great. In SMACX they only have the same boring music, I think the Spatans have the same music there.

Comment

As for playing Miriam: In MP, I usually find myself on the same techlevel as other factions, even in times of peace. Why? Because whenyou switch to 0% Labs you have a hell a lot of cash. On top of that, human players usuallysell you tech for no more than 50 ec, which is a good bargain.

LoD
            I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
            LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
            civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

Hey A_S are you, or anyone alse aware of any kind of trick that could make possible to hear the Believers or the Spartans background sound when playing any other faction in SMAC and (especially) SMAX ?
              LoD already knows about this question of mine (he actually posted a reply to that).
              I would appreciate any sort of help on that issue.

Comment

I can't help you Neptunis. I wish I could.

Comment

Hey Waynehead! If you REALLY hate Miriam start playing with the Believers. You don't know what you're missing. That faction is excellent for early domination, makes a very interesting game, and has a really relaxing sound. One of my favourites ! Just play Miriam with Democratic, Green and Knowledge SE choices. You still win, but you win without Miriam blocking the way...

Comment

I just turned on the SMAX music for Domai, and boy does it suck. I hope it gets better for some of the others.

Comment

Waynehead, what exactly do you mean "music for Domai" ?
                      I don't know about you guys but MY SMAX has the SAME music for all 7 factions (human and alien). That's why I keep bringing the issue so often. The whole music problem with SMAX is frustrating (music, after all, is yet another dimension for these games...)

Comment

I thought there was individual faction music. I guess not. I haven't played with the music for so long, I didn't know. If this is just the general music, then it sux; in general.

------------------

Comment

Neptunus: From my experience, the "music" is simply a sequence of files played from the fx directory. To solve the problem you have to find that sequence, and rearrange the files. Alternatively, you could hack into the exec and change it, but it would be a hard task.

LoD

PS. Keep in mind that some of the fx are interface-triggered (eg. by mouse clicks).
                          I love the tick of the Geiger counter in the morning. It's the sound of... victory! :D
                          LoD - Owner/Webmaster of civ.org.pl
                          civ.org.pl's Discussion Forums and Multiplayer System for SMAC and Civs 2-4

Comment

You have to have some kind of programing software and some know how for that. The question is, "has anybody done it, and if so where are the files?"

Comment

LoD I'm afraid you're right. The problem is that all those little files in the fx directory represent sounds which are too fragmented even to be recognized. The task to find out which of these correspond to the sound background of a specific faction and reorganize them appropriatelly, is too much indeed !

Therefore Adam_Smith couldn't have asked the question better...

Comment

Working...
                              X