Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC/X Problem, CPU not supported

Hello People,

I installed Smac/x to my new computer yesterday. I did the complete install and it went fine without any problems at all.

I then tried to launch the game. It started to play the firaxis video and started loading the game, just before the opening movie was about to start it flashed me with a warning "CPU not supported, may work or may not" or something like that. Then the program just died in front of my eyes, it was horroble. Is there anything I can do?

My CPU is Pentium4 - M, 2.66 GHz
    512 DDR, Geforce4 4200 Go
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

This answer really should be in a sticky somewhere

Here it is again.

Add this line to alphacentauri.ini

Forceoldvoxelalgorithms=1

Then it should work. If not, check you have the latest patch, and that I've spelt it right above

Have fun

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Thanks very much Jamski!

Yeah I now found the same exact thread on page 2..sorry guys for my ignorance

- Paul Valery

Comment

Like I said - this really SHOULD be a sticky, but it ain't.

Happy SMACing Laurentius.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I will do that Sir! ASAP Sir!

oh btw is there anykind of mod-swapper to swap between the alternative faction?

- Paul Valery

Comment

MY GOD THIS IS FAST!

The AI turns took sometimes 10 minutes to count with my old CPU. Now theyre over in like 20 seconds. Its a bit too fast actually, because I have all the fast moving options on and cant really see AI moving anything...the enemy units just appear and disappear

And the game grafix look a little more crappy now, because the resolution is so low. D'you know if there's anyway to increase the reso?

- Paul Valery

Comment

I'm glad you commented on the faster turn speed, because I was thinking of starting a thread on that topic. Is that a common experience?
              When I get a new PC — soon, I hope — I will be leaping from a 266MHz AMD K6 to not less than (zoom zoom) 2GHz (3GHz if the price is right). Will I, too, see those 10-to-20-minute waits become 10-to-20-second blurs ?
              I've always left fast movement off. Since everything happens so much faster, have you considered turning off those options? You might be surprised to learn what you've been missing, particularly among the natives.

To set the resolution to 1024, open alpha.txt or alphax.txt in Notepad and add this line anywhere under the [Alpha Centauri] heading:
              Video Mode=1024
              then save and exit. Remember you won't see (Linked) beside your Network Nodes when examining your bases {F4}.

I tried the 1024 resolution a couple of times and absolutely hated it. I've been gaming since Pong, and still play on my Commodore64 (including Empire and Under Fire), so the 800x600 graphics that younger (or newer) (or pickier) gamers might consider blocky don't bother me one bit.

I'm curious why the graphics would look different? Is there a lot of difference from one graphics card to another (and taking the monitor into account if different) when displaying the same image at the same resolution, especially an image as comparatively simple as SMAC's?
              I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
              X