A base production question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A base production question

I was playing Santiago in a SMAC SP game and I built a new base on an flat arid square, elevation 450, with a nutrient bonus. I was expecting 4-1-2 production since the manual says a base will produce 2-1-2 all by itself. Instead, the base only produced 4-1-1. So, what happened to the 2nd energy? Is this an error in the manual?

Does that base have the -1 energy per square random event? Or do you have negative economy? I don't know any other way of losing that energy.

Comment

There are no random events indicated on the base screen. The Spartan Economy is 0. The map location is Mount Planet but this square is down at the bottom of the Mt, elevation 450 so I don't think the landmark plays a part.

Comment

The default alpha.txt file states that base squares get 2-1-1. However, your headquarters get an extra energy, IIRC, netting you 2-1-2. Is this the problem, you think?

Comment

Ok, so the manual is wrong. It's 2-1-1. Thanks

Comment

I don't think he meant that the manual is wrong... Unless it is, because I haven't looked at it. Rubin means to say that your headquarters will net you an extra energy on the square you found the base. While a base other than your headquarters will not. I'm not sure if you already understood this, just in case...

Comment

Well I tried building another base to see if I understood the rule but I guess I don't. Once again my economy is 0 and this is not a HQ base. I chose a square with elev. 1286, rolling & moist, river. I built a base expecting to see 3-2-3; 3 nut (1 for moist + 2 for base), 2 min (1 for rolling + 1 for base), and 3 energy (1 for elev. + 1 for base + 1 for river). Instead I got 2-1-2. Can anyone say for sure how this works?

Comment

Bases ignore terrain (except rivers and specials) and produce 2-1-1. Bases on rivers produce 2-1-2. Bases on specials produce 2 more of whatever. Rec tanks add 1-1-1. A HQ adds 0-0-1.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

Hmm, I don't think rainfall and temperature (elevation) have any effect on the base square production. However, special resources (+2 resource) and river (+1 energy) do add to the base output.

Since your 'new' base is founded on a river you should receive 2-1-2, which you did.

Edit: Chaos Theory, you're too fast

Comment

Oh yeah, applicable landmarks, such as the Monsoon Jungle, Garland Crater, and Uranium Flats also add their bonuses to bases located on them.
                    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                    -BBC news

Comment

To the above list add Pholus Ridge, Mt. Planet and the Fossil whatever it's called at sea...and the Hydrothermal shallows. Furthermore, the base square is not subject to restrictions. Building bases in the Jungle provides lots of nutrients in the base square.

Comment

Ok, thanks guys. Now I'm up to speed. Every little bit helps in PBEM.

Comment

Working...
                        X