no hologram theatres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no hologram theatres

I've discovered planetary networks and haven't built the virtual world but can't build ht's (they're not on my production display). Anyone know what might be causing this or which files I could change that might effect a solution?

I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that hologram theaters can't be built before you've built a recreation commons in the base. This might be a problem if you haven't discovered social psych.

Comment

You must build a Network Node in a base before you may build a Hologram Theater there.
      Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic
        You must build a Network Node in a base before you may build a Hologram Theater there.
        Really? That's what I get for always playing the University and building the Virtual World.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic
          Archaic,

I know that you're one of the more knowledgeable players on this forum, but are perhaps this isn't quite that simple. Here's a screen snapshot from a current game in which I haven't bult a Network Node in a base, but Hologram Theater is a possible choice.

(I seem to be having problems attaching the image, but I really do have a base in which I can build a Hologram Theater before building a Network Node.)
          Attached Files
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

I'm pretty sure Minute Mirage is right. Some facilities can't be built before other facilities, but I can't find an explicit listing in any of the game files. Here's a partial list of dependencies:

Rec Commons -> Holo Theaters
            Perimeter Defense -> Tachyon Field
            Tree Farm -> Hybrid Forest
            Hab Complex -> Hab Dome
            Aerospace Complex -> any satellite
            Centauri Preserve -> Temple of Planet
            Fusion Lab -> Quantum Lab
            some dependency among Robotic Assembly Plant, Quantum Converter, and Nanoreplicator
            Research Hospital -> Nanohospital

Some of these exist for game balance, particularly the aerospace complex and hab complex requirements, some are harmless like the fusion lab requirement, but some are just obnoxious, like the tree farm requirement.
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
              Archaic,

I know that you're one of the more knowledgeable players on this forum, but are perhaps this isn't quite that simple. Here's a screen snapshot from a current game in which I haven't bult a Network Node in a base, but Hologram Theater is a possible choice.

(I seem to be having problems attaching the image, but I really do have a base in which I can build a Hologram Theater before building a Network Node.)
              Originally posted by Chaos Theory
              I'm pretty sure Minute Mirage is right. Some facilities can't be built before other facilities, but I can't find an explicit listing in any of the game files. Here's a partial list of dependencies:

How odd. Perhaps there's something wrong with my SMAC/X. I've always been able to build Holo Theaters before Rec Commons if I wanted, but I needed a Net Node up and running.

Comment

Archaic,

I'm running the "no CD crack" version of SMAX. What about you?
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

My SMAX has the no CD crack, while my SMAC has the XP patch. Could that perhaps be the difference?

Comment

There seems to be some confusion, but on my copy of smac with 95/98/me patch rec commons turned out to be the prerequisite. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory

Some of these exist for game balance, particularly the aerospace complex and hab complex requirements, some are harmless like the fusion lab requirement, but some are just obnoxious, like the tree farm requirement.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't these restrictions be circumvented by placing the facilities in the build queue and then deleting the required facility? Of course, you'd still have to be able to build the required facility in the first place.

Comment

Yes, that works, though I would expect it to be considered a cheat in the case of the aero complex and hab complex I mentioned. However, in the case of the tree farm, you can very easily have the ability to build Hybrid Farms (Planetary Economics, level 4) before you can build Tree Farms (Environmental Economics, level 5). This is not the case in vanilla SMAC, where Environmental Economics is a prereq for whatever Hybrid Forests is tied to (maybe Planetary Economics at level 6). Also, tech trades/stealing, and getting PlaNet before Social Psych will prevent available facilities from being built.
                        -BBC news

Comment

Chaos Theory wrote:
                          Perimeter Defense -> Tachyon Field
                          Tree Farm -> Hybrid Forest
                          Hab Complex -> Hab Dome
                          Aerospace Complex -> any satellite
                          Centauri Preserve -> Temple of Planet
                          Fusion Lab -> Quantum Lab
                          some dependency among Robotic Assembly Plant, Quantum Converter, and Nanoreplicator
                          Research Hospital -> Nanohospital
                          I have SMAC4. This list is exactly what I have always seen.
                          The Robotic Assembly Plant, Quantum Converter, and Nanoreplicator are independent facilities; there is no prerequisite facility for any of them. Their effects are cumulative (each increases the Mineral output of the base by 50%), though, so watch out for the increased ecodamage.

The Genejack Factory Paradise Garden and Punishment Sphere are mutually exclusive: you cannot build both in the same base.

To me, the Tree Farm requirement for the Hybrid Forest is logical. You need to be sure Terrestrial plants can survive in the new environment before hybridizing with the indigenous fauna.

I've read that The Voice of Planet is a prerequisite of the Temple of Planet, but I'm nearly positive that's not right. It's been a while since I was that deep into a game, but I vaguely recall being able to build Temples as soon as I had Secrets of Alpha Centauri, without The Voice. It doesn't make sense anyway. Once The Voice is done, the only thing anyone is going to work on is The Ascent to Transcendence. Also, the tech for The Voice (Threshold of Transcendence, E15) is way off from Secrets of Alpha Centauri (D12) in terms of the number of techs in between (as many as 20, depending on your research paths).
                          Last edited by gwillybj; October 20, 2003, 19:03.
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Tree farms as a requirement for Hybrid Forests made sense when the tech for tree farms was a prereq for the tech for hybrid forests. Now, however, you can (and must) get access to hybrid forests differently (with Planetary Economics), on a path that has little to do with tree farms (Environmental Economics). The disagreement of prereqs is obnoxious and penalizes both Planetary Economics and Environmental Economics.
                            Last edited by Chaos Theory; October 18, 2003, 14:12.
                            -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj
                              The Genejack Factory and Punishment Sphere are mutually exclusive: you cannot build both in the same base.
                              Don't you mean Punishment Sphere and Paradise Garden?

Comment

Working...
                              X