Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question; what actually is the Pholus Mutagen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question; what actually is the Pholus Mutagen?

A handy little project for reducing pollution, I know, but what in fact is it. I know Pholus is one of the satellites of planet, and I know a mutagen is an agent capable of inducing structural and sequence changes in genomic DNA. But what would this do? What precise function would it achieve? A fungicide, something that can allow terran life to compete better with fungus, what. I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I can grasp the concept of all the other secret projects but this one.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

I think that Pholus in this case refers to the fungus rather than the moon. So some compound has been developed to either control the fungus or at least harness its capabilities (and its dangerous side as well).

But that is just my guess, largely based on the SP movie.

Comment

It is a very potent alcoholic drink that was once served at the now defunct "I club" back in the days of owo

Comment

Indeed that name is the most weird of all project names and certainly not at all explanatory of what it actually does/represents. I suggest letting your imagination solve the mystery.

My spontaneous first thoughts about the Pholus Mutagen is that Alien life might be in some way related to the physical satellite Pholus, the same way as the Moon interacts with life on Earth. If this is the case, then "Pholus" Mutagen might as well stand for : The mutagen with the "Pholus-effect". If you recall the project video, Earth lifeforms are "accepted" in the Planet's eco-system to co-exist in harmony with the alien lifeforms. Therefore the "Pholus Mutagen" applies to Earth lifeforms and describe the structural changes required to harmonize with "the way of the Planet"...

To me this is a plausible "fictitious" explanation for a fictionary term within the context of an excellent scifi game...

Comment

I always figured that it was a Mutagen injected into your people that masked your "human-ness," fooling Planet into working with you.

I mean, hell, it reduces Pollution, and allows you troops to attack like native lifeforms. you've got to be buddyddying u0p to planets.

(I have a vision of pink-eyed troops hiding in the razor sharp fungus, forcing it to aid in the slaugther of a opposing force.)
          [This message has been edited by kaz (edited June 15, 2000).]

Comment

See, this is what I mean, it is so open to definition. The Merchant Exchange, Supercollider, Cloning Vats, etc, everyone could figure out what they are all about. But the Pholus Mutagen. I thought it must be some kind of agent that maybe pacifies fungus or slows down it's growth.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My opinion is the same as Kaz' one.
              Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Sounds like someone (*cough* kaz *cough*) has been reading too many stories in the SMAC Fiction section...

Comment

Actually, I've only read about half of "Wizards of Chiron."

Which one are you talking about? I'd be interested in reading it.

Comment

Working...
                  X