Original Faction Names and Logos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Faction Names and Logos

I was mucking around in the SMAC directory looking for files that I might be able to alter and I came across one named "NewIcons". You can open it up in Paint and have a look at some interesting stuff.

First off we see some older simpler Nut,min,eng symbols most like early crude place holders made durring development. Most of the material didn't make it into the final game yet its called "new" so their were probably even more primitive versions of all the information displayed.

Their are also 3 simple pictures for Talent, Worker and Drone. Notice that the talents are already assosiated with harps at this early stage. Hense why the symbol for the Paradise Garden is a Harp.

Most interesting of all though are small faction Icons to the right side of the page. Gaian's and Spartans are normal but nothing else matches.

The "Keepers" whom I am assuming are the Peace Keepers are using the Hive logo. At some Point they desided to give that Logo to the Hive and use the UN/Starfleet like logo that the PeaceKeepers now use. The Peace Keepers current logo isn't very original as a result.

The Morgans are using a Dimond shaped logo which mildly resembles what they eventualy use. No idea why that was changed, the old logo looks good to me.

Their is a faction called the Archon's using a logo I have never seen before and which seems to resemble a wrench, I am assuming these guys are the University in discuise. They probably changed name to university to accentuate the tec focus of the faction. Their new logo contains an Atomic sysmol also for tecnology. Perhaps the Archons were not a tec focused faction.

The Beliver Logo is assosiated with the Conclave. If you think about this it makes perfect sense and you just have to slap your head. THE CONCLAVE BIBLE! The belivers must have had their name changes just before the product shipped, all the wav files, facility descriptions and Tec descriptions refer to the conclave bible. Then at the 11th hour they deside that Belivers is a better name for the faction (I agree by the way) and just left all the Conclave bible references in their. I amd I asume most of you out their never suspected a thing, we all naturaly think this is some sophisticated design element.

Lastly we have the Labyrinth faction using another never before seen logo. I am assuming these guys are the Hive also in Discuise. I suspect this because Yang's Undergroung bases would make great Labyrith's. Yang then stole the Peace Keepers logo (which could have been the sourse of deep seeted animosity between them). I guess this also mean that the Hive logo was not concived as a stylized Ying-Yang symbol which had always been my asumption.

Now you might say I got the Archon's and Labyrinth backwards but I have infact found Confirmation that the University = Archons and Hive = Labyrinth. If you also open up the "system" text file and scroll most of the way down you can find a reference to faction colors that use these old faction names, the names of the colors though perfectly match the final faction colors, which makes me belive that the colors fo the factions were desided very early.

One final myster remains, notice the 4 large very simple sysmbols with 4 names, Vehice, Tool, Buillding, Project. These seem to be catagores for things bases can produce, Vehices or Units, Buildings or Facilites and "secret" Projects. But what the heck are Tools? What ever it is it represents something that is significant enough to be put on an equal footing with Facilites and Secret Projects. Perhaps this was some kind of game mechanic or group of construction options that was droped in the early production process of SMAC.

If anyone has any guesses or even better 3rd hand rummors I would be glad to hear them.
    Last edited by Impaler[WrG]; September 14, 2003, 17:29.
    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

The university I thought were more engineering orientated in their previous incarnation. From their text file, they were supposed to have +support for engineering improvisation. Maybe the wrench helped conveyed this idea. As for the word, Archon, I have no idea why the term for rulership was involved. A theme to represent the classical ancient Greece golden age?
    Promoter of Public Morale
    Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Nice peace of detection work there, Impaler.

I have never heard of these things. Perhaps one of the more experienced SMAC modders has more information.

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Just a day or two ago I noticed a faction.txt file for the Outlaws, which seemed to be a variation on the Spartans, but with different qualities:
        #OUTLAW
        United Noncomplicity Front, The Outlaw, Outlaws, M, 2, Awen, F, -1, 1, 0, 1, 1,
        TECH, Tacit3, Commerce, 2, SOCIAL, ++EFFIC, SOCIAL, ++PROBE, UNIT, 1, SOCIAL, --POLICE, UNIT, 6, POPULATION, 2, SOCIAL, +MORALE
        Production, Paranoia, PROBE
        Protocol, Controlled, nil
        Note the emphasis on espionage and efficiency and the lesser morale boost. I don't know what Controlled Protocol means and the tech Tacit3, while it strikes a memory chord somewhere, did not reveal itself in the Tech lists.

Some of the text in the faction file actually says Spartans or something to that effect, so I suppose they were derivitave, but the Outlaw-Santi image, while resembling the real thing, is definitely not as alluring.

Comment

Tie-ins with the Official Story

If we closly examine the Unity Story that Firaxis produced in all thouse many many small instalments we can find additional clues. If your interested the story can be found here

The story tell the origin of each faction leader and how they interact durring the break up of the Unity. In general its safe to say that they build up quite a bit of Animostiy and distrst.

But their are a few inconsistences between the story and the In game descriptions of the Origins of the Faction leader, for one Yang is refered to in game as the "Unity Exexuitve Officer" aka Captain, but as we all know the Captain was called Garland and he died before Planetfall (and got a well know mineral rich Crater named after himself). In the Story Yang is the ships Secuirty officer and is a Martial Arts master with powers bordering on the Super-Natural.

In Game Santiago is called the Security officer but in the story she is a Stow-away. So are all the members of here faction. They were a South American survivalist/terrorist cult which bribed/threatened the U.N. to put them onto the Unit. Santiago did this in the hope of establishing her self and here followers as lords of this new world and to flee the sinking ship of Earth, the U.N. was glad to have here out of their hair and didn't much care what happened to the Unity after it left Earth.

Lal, Deedre, Miriam and Zarkof are all Officers of the ship with Morgan as a righ financere who bought his way onto the ship by paying for a large portion of its construction.

The idea that the University was at first consived as a more Engingering oriented faction is supported by the fact that Zarkof is the one leading the Unities Enginers in the desperate atempts to repair the ship. Yet their are references to his Scientific prowess too so perphas his faction was originaly Science AND Enginer which was later refocused just on Science. It would be interesting too play the "throw back" versions of all the factions if we could deduce what their adsact paramiters were.

Lastly, Vev what text file referest to a University support bost? I dont remember seeing anything to this effect. It sounds unbalancing because Zak would be able to feild an even larger army of high tec soldiars with witch to concour the world.
          Last edited by Impaler[WrG]; September 15, 2003, 06:37.
          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

If you check the poster that came with the game, showing a technology tree, the University's picture in that has the engineering wrench logo on it.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Re: Tie-ins with the Official Story

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
              for one Yang is refered to in game as the "Unity Exexuitve Officer" aka Captain, but as we all know the Captain was called Garland and he died before Planetfall (and got a well know mineral rich Crater named after himself)
              The executive officer would be under the captain.

Comment

Re: Original Faction Names and Logos

The Beliver Logo is assosiated with the Conclave. If you think about this it makes perfect sense and you just have to slap your head. THE CONCLAVE BIBLE! The belivers must have had their name changes just before the product shipped, all the wav files, facility descriptions and Tec descriptions refer to the conclave bible. Then at the 11th hour they deside that Belivers is a better name for the faction (I agree by the way) and just left all the Conclave bible references in their. I amd I asume most of you out their never suspected a thing, we all naturaly think this is some sophisticated design element.
                They didn`t change the intro movie ("quote - The Conclave Bible") - truly shows last hour changes.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Yes good work there Impaler
                  On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I belive that Outlaw faction might be a custom faction, Chech the Original CD and see if it also apears their, I have nto been able to find any reference to an outlaw faction in my own SMAC files.

Also I was wondering if any of you were aware of the Male into sound clip, its the same message just read by a male voice, its easily listened too and is named "introm" as oposed to "introf" which is the normal one we all hear when starting the game. Firaxis must have desided they liked the female voiced intro better (it sounds more like Miriam dont it).

As for the Tec tree fold out, I am looking at it right now and their are no discrepancies in the faction logos and what apears in game. The university isn't assosiated whith the earlier wrench logo. This dosn't supprise me though, the tec tree fold out would logicaly have been manufactured AFTER the game whent gold. They would need to perform huge amounts of play testing on the tec tree before it was nailed down and by that time the factions had all matured to their present state. If their were any errors in the Tec Tree fold out I would expect them to be in the tecnologes because these are subject to last minute changes and modification (its a hell of a lot easier to do for one thing), but even here their are know mistakes that I know off.

Comment

Originally posted by Vev
                      The university I thought were more engineering orientated in their previous incarnation. From their text file, they were supposed to have +support for engineering improvisation. Maybe the wrench helped conveyed this idea. As for the word, Archon, I have no idea why the term for rulership was involved. A theme to represent the classical ancient Greece golden age?
                      Sorry Vev, but now I a non-veteran will teach you some SF or I think so:

Archon is a "faction" in Kim Stanley Robinsons book Red Mars, which you will found in suggested reading in the manual. They are actuly a reaserch group and I guess the group behind the Lon. Vacine...

The rest of you: Is there anyone out there who has the beta-factions?
                      Last edited by waab; September 16, 2003, 12:57.
                      What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

In Game Santiago is called the Security officer but in the story she is a Stow-away. So are all the members of here faction. They were a South American survivalist/terrorist cult which bribed/threatened the U.N. to put them onto the Unit.
                        Actuly she is not a stow-away, she is a security officer under Yang, as I have understand the text could be wrong english is not my birth language.

Morgan is a stow-away, he payed for a part of the ship...
                        What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Lastly, Vev what text file referest to a University support bost? I dont remember seeing anything to this effect. It sounds unbalancing because Zak would be able to feild an even larger army of high tec soldiars with witch to concour the world.
                          Inside the Univ.txt file below the section where the text is used for factional description it has:

#DATALINKS2
                          ^+2 RESEARCH: {Brilliant research}
                          ^-2 PROBE: {Academic networks vulnerable to infiltration}
                          ^Free NETWORK NODE at every base
                          ^One BONUS TECH at beginning of game
                          ^Extra DRONE for every four citizens {(lack of ethics)}
                          ^{May not use Fundamentalist Politics.}

#xxx
                          ^+2 SUPPORT: {Engineers readily improvise}

I guess that line was commented out

Comment

As for Archon, it had been too long since I've read the Mars series.

Alway fun looking up words and their possible orgins. e.g. Cybernetic : says it is from Greek word meaning governor

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Vev
                              Alway fun looking up words and their possible orgins. e.g. Cybernetic : says it is from Greek word meaning governor [/QUOTE

Nice, something more fun around in the hunt for the "Orginal" factions?

Comment

Working...
                              X