Appropriateness of leader-quote pairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appropriateness of leader-quote pairing

Anybody else ruminate sometimes about the appropriateness of the leader-quote pairings, especially from a gameplay standpoint?

E.g.

Miriam - Information Networks: fear not this pure-science tech, as it will lead you to Impact Infantry...

Yang - Recycling Tanks: That extra point of science when an RT is built in a base on unterraformed ground is really important for Yang, so this make sense.

Whereas:
    Lal - Rec Commons: I don't see any especially greater gameplay-importance for RT for Lal than for others...

USC
    "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Re: Rec Commons: The text of the quote is the relevant material here, note how Lal points out how EVERY faction has a Recreation Commons. The gameplay subtext is clearly that this facility is needed, regardless of which faction you play.

Comment

From my reading of the novel Centauri Dawn, I can see that Lal is an idealists who dreams of peace and prosperity and aims for the stars.

Here's an excerpt from Centauri Dawn.

“I hear your father has done a little remodeling in the meeting room,” said Pierson as he came up next to Jahn in the Planet Walk outside the conference room. “I guess we’ve all learned to humor him about his little projects that don’t help humans survive on Chiron.”

“What kind of little projects do you mean, Pierson?” asked Jahn, annoyed, although he knew exactly what the man was talking about.

“This hallway for example,” said Pierson, gesturing to the glass walls around them “Do you know how many rooms went without windows in this base so that Pravin could build this hallway right after planetfall?”

“This is a monument to the beauty of Chiron, and it inspires our citizens.”

“But it does nothing to help us survive,” said Pierson, and Jahn could see the man puffing up, enjoying the verbal sparring.

“It lifts our spirits, and my father is most interested in connecting us with our humanity. If we’re all going to live in dark boxes and eat gruel, we may as well have reverted back to protoplasm,” said Jahn.
      From this paragraph I feel that Rec Commons is exactly the structure that Lal would want to build.
      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
        From my reading of the novel Centauri Dawn, I can see that Lal is an idealists who dreams of peace and prosperity and aims for the stars.

Here's an excerpt from Centauri Dawn.

From this paragraph I feel that Rec Commons is exactly the structure that Lal would want to build.
        well there are two (really three ways of looking at the improvement comments)

1. The kind of thing the leader would build, based on the backstory

2. The leader can get a good quote in (like for recycling tanks - not sure Yang more likely to build something, but certainly more likely to say something like that )

3. A subtle strategy hint - not something I had picked up on myself, so its interesting that people here can come up with logic for this.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

3. A subtle strategy hint - not something I had picked up on myself, so its interesting that people here can come up with logic for this.
          And this, indeed, is how I like to look at the quotes. (Though sometimes the hint is not so subtle.)

I like the notion stated above that the RC quote simply means RC's are for everyone.

Here's another Lal quote to ponder: the Centauri Preserve quote. Here I think there is a real gameplay link to Lal: with his larger base sizes sooner, he's more likely to have pollution problems that need such drastic solutions as this single-purpose facility (which the designers probably didn't foresee as getting used build-and-scrap style as current strategy wisdom suggests).

USC
          "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Comment

Working...
          X