Forest/Kelp Growth question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest/Kelp Growth question

This is something that i've wondered for a while & figured I might as well ask.

How is random forest/kelp growth calculated? Does having a high Planet rate increase the rate at which the forest/kelp square expand?

I can’t say I know how it is calculated, but there do seem to be some factors:
    * Length of time the forest has been there
    * Number of contiguous tiles of forest (they seem to grow faster when there is more of them)
    * Not blocked by rivers (qualitative observation – no concrete proof that forests don’t like to cross rivers)

I don’t have any qualitative observations on a correlation between Planet rating and forest growth. In general I seem to get as much forest with Morgan as Deirdre. This might be a good experiment, though!

Hydro

Comment

Every copy of SMAC comes with 1D6 rolling nano-bots which infect your hard drive upon installation.

They determine every random number!

But really: no clue.

Comment

I believe (but do not know) that every tile of forest / kelp has a certain chance of growing into an appropriate random (AFAICT) adjacent tile. This is why a clear tile surrounded by forest will fill in quickly most of the time, as every tile around it has a chance of spreading into it.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

What does AFAICT stand for?
          "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's? Pay no attention to Caesar. He doesn't have a clue what's really going on." -Cat's Cradle

Comment

As Far As I Can Tell

Comment

I am very convinced that your planet rating doesn't affect it one bit. Forest grows just as fast for FM factions as they do for a green Dee.

Comment

I, too, believe Planet rating is irrelevant. Any forest seeded by any pod popped by any faction expands the same as all others.

A forest can grow into an adjacent base square if the base is the only thing there (no farm, soil enricher, solar collector, bunker, air base, sensor, condenser, or echelon mirror). Roads and mag tubes are ignored.
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Just catching up on forums - one quick correction to the last post. A forest CAN spread to a condensor square without a farm, I've had it happen. The resulting forest square gets an extra nutrient.
                  The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                  And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                  Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                  Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I don't use condensors, so I wouldn't know. Thank you for mentioning it, though. It's a good thing to keep in mind.
                    My point was just that in preparing a base site you don't have to forest it; just leave it blank, the forest will eventually expand into it. IIRC, the base doesn't get any resource bonuses for it. It does cost 3 movement points to enter cross-country.
                    Has anyone noticed if forest expands faster than kelp? It seems to in my games. Is that simply a matter of available ocean shelf squares usually being fewer than available land squares?
                    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
                    X