-3 Growth: A warning if you're ever tempted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -3 Growth: A warning if you're ever tempted

I recently discovered an undocumented (I think) "feature" of the Growth setting. When running -3 Growth (i.e. Aki or Sven running Green without Demo), YOUR BASES DO NOT GROW WHEN THEIR FOOD BOXES FILL. The boxes do fill up, albeit slowly, but when full, they just sit there.

I found this out the hard way once when for one reason or another I wanted to run Sven as something better than Simple, but couldn't or didn't want to run FM and needed more tech than I could get while running Planned. I was busy popping out colony pods when all of a sudden, a few turns after switching to Green, one base after another had "population too low" to pop out a pod... after a few turns of this problem growing rather than shrinking, I realized the horrible truth.

The moral of the story is: if you really need to run Green when playing Sven or Aki, balance it with Demo (or I suppose in some extremely exceptional cases with a GA or Creche in **EVERY** base whose food box might fill up before you raise your growth rating above -3). If you can't balance it with Demo, you don't need to run Green as bad as you think you do!

USC
    "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

I think it says 'no population growth' in the box at the bottom-right of the SE screen. Either way, it's nasty though...
    We're back!
    http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

I'm not even going to try that, no way. Negative growth = very nasty.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

i thought -3 was "Near Zero" growth

Comment

Well, the excess nutrients are still accumulated in the nutrient box. So there's still some growth. It's just that the base doesn't grow in size when the nutrient box is full.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

So your population doesn't increase. Call me crazy, but from over here, that looks like no growth.

Comment

-2 -20% population growth
              -3 ZERO POPULATION GROWTH

even the manual tries to persuade people not to do this.
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Of course, in vanilla SMAC, it's not possible to reach -3 growth.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

-2 -20% population growth
                  -3 ZERO POPULATION GROWTH

even the manual tries to persuade people not to do this.
                  But if like me you're too lazy to pick up the manual and you just read the in-game text....

USC
                  "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Comment

Of course, as I realised last night, once you get the Kloning Vats, its not really an issue is it?

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Jamski, do you have a German version of SMAC?
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

If you have -3 GROWTH and Cloning Vats, which wins?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Cloning Vats
                          AMD4EVER

Comment

Hmm. think I 'll (as Sven) will avoid Green unless I have demo and something else.
                            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Even with Vanilla SMAC, you can reach -3 Growth by making a custom fraction that has a -1 growth penalty.

The major conquences of your SE choices are listed on the bottom right of the Social Engerning Screen. If your Growth is -3, on that line you'll see ZERO POPULATION GROWTH in all caps.
                              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                              Templar Science Minister
                              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                              X