a black square over the cursor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a black square over the cursor

I recently bought a new computer with windows xp and now when i try to play AC, there is a black square over the cursor...

i have direct x 9.

any ideas??

the game worked great until the new comp
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

weirdest thing ive seen is the cursor changing to a workers head
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Have you installed the win2000/XP compatibility upgrade?

Comment

Rubin, I have installed the latest patch I can find, unsure if it includes any compatibility upgrade.

Also, I didn't buy the comp. I built it. Went flawless. Most games play well under xp, not all.

AC plays fine, but it has a blacked out square over the cursor that makes the game anoying.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Well, I hope we can solve your problem.

See this post for the latest patch. Check the game help menu to see your version number. It should read v5.0!

Comment

I have 2.0 for alien crossfire, however, i did not patch AC before installing alien crossfire.

And i'm talking about alien crossfire, not the original, i should have made that clear i guess. sorry.

Comment

i will try the compatibility patch.

Comment

I believe you can safely patch SMACX v2 with the compatibility update. It worked fine on my machine. SMACX was not affected and SMAC is better than ever

Comment

I have version 2.0 for SMACX and the compatibility update. Still have the black square.

Oh well.

Comment

Have you tried adding this line to your alpha centauri.ini:

[PREFERENCES]
                    ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

I can send you my .ini file and you can see if it solves your problem? Don't give up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                      Have you tried adding this line to your alpha centauri.ini:

[PREFERENCES]
                      ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

I can send you my .ini file and you can see if it solves your problem? Don't give up!!!
                      I tried that, no dice.

thanks by the way.

Comment

I just found the problem! It was the darned Cursor XP that I downloaded from Stardock.

It seems that it was causing the cursor to have a black square around it.

I have to disable Cursor XP for SMAC.

All seems good now.

yay

Comment

Hate those things ... always trying to sneak onto my comp by installing themselves when i visit a site.
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Cursor XP seems to give the cursor a black "shadow" underneath in certain applications...

I've noticed it in real player too.

that's the main reason i thought of disabling it...because it caused problems in other apps

Comment

Working...
                            X