No announcement yet.

Running in 1280x1024 or windowed mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running in 1280x1024 or windowed mode?

I'm trying to run SMAC in 1280x1024 but I guess it won't work out according to what Brian Reynolds said once, that the graphics are not scaleable.

Did anyone manage to run in this resolution, or is there a way to keep the game in a window?

Thanks a lot!
    freya

This has been discussed many times over the last several years. No one has ever found a way to run the game in a window or at higher than 1024x768 resolution.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Not even a startup parameter or something to run it in a 1024x768 window?

sorry for bringing up it again, but I was unable to find the old topics.

Comment

nope
        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Dumb question, but how can you tell what resolution the game is running at?

(I have the line:

Video Mode=1200

in my alphacentauri.ini file - I saw that a couple of years ago in one of the threads)

I seem to be getting incredibly detailed graphics - but of course it might just be the card rather than a particular setting - so again, how can one tell?)

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
            Dumb question, but how can you tell what resolution the game is running at?

(I have the line:

Video Mode=1200

in my alphacentauri.ini file - I saw that a couple of years ago in one of the threads)

I seem to be getting incredibly detailed graphics - but of course it might just be the card rather than a particular setting - so again, how can one tell?)
            Set your desktop to the same resolution as you think the game is running. Either leave another application open and hit alt-tab to switch to it from the game, or hit the windows key when the game is running. Either one should allow you to get to the desktop. If the game window is as large or larger than the desktop, then it is running at a high res. If it is smaller, then the game is running at a lower res.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
              If the game window is as large or larger than the desktop, then it is running at a high res. If it is smaller, then the game is running at a lower res.
              Hmm - not sure what "the game window" is, but by inference I guess it's not running at a higher resolution. I'm set (now) at 1280 x 1024, and if leave this 'Poly screen up and open smac/x, when I alt/tab to here I only see about 2/3rds of this page - I have to manoeuver the scroll bars to see it all, so I guess I'm running smac/x at a lower resoultion and it's impacting my other programs' displays

Is this inference correct?

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

Hmm - not sure what "the game window" is, but by inference I guess it's not running at a higher resolution. I'm set (now) at 1280 x 1024, and if leave this 'Poly screen up and open smac/x, when I alt/tab to here I only see about 2/3rds of this page - I have to manoeuver the scroll bars to see it all, so I guess I'm running smac/x at a lower resoultion and it's impacting my other programs' displays

Is this inference correct?

G.
                That's what I meant. I think it means that the game is running in a lower res than your desktop. If someone more knowledgeable about windows wants to contradict, than I'm willing to admit that I don't know for sure, but it seems to fit a pattern I have seen with several games. Almost all games I play run at a lower res than my desktop, so I see it quite a bit while the desktop reconfigures itself from the game settings.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                X