Timing of getting the weather paradigm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing of getting the weather paradigm

I read from a lot of places that you should get the weather paradigm as soon as possible. Now that I've got it and my formers have set up boreholes but they only produces 0,2,2 because I don't have the tech. Is that a waste of time when I should build something that is currently more useful?
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

always get the WP as soon as you can. it not only allows construction of boreholes, condensors, etc. sooner than normal, but it increases former work rate by 50% (IIRC)

but like you say, boreholes are useless until ecological engineering anyways, so you should spend your time building things you can actually use until you get the tech. the WP is a really great thing to have so don't build something else. instead, just wait until you get the tech before building the boreholes

Comment

I always beeline for the WP, IMO its one of the best SPs in the game. I'm often willing to sacrifice expansion to get this project, and I'll always use early game Artifacts to hurry its production. Then its time to get some condensors + farms on Nut bonuses for +7 nutrients Then a few drill to aquifer orders often help a LOT in the long run. Then start on the forest planting.... soon you will have the tech for lifting the restrictions.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I only planted forest on my nut bonus square since I know farm is not going to give me more before the gene splicing. Now is the limitation binding for the condersors/soil enrichers?
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I thought bonus squares and base squares were immune to FOP restrictions...

Comment

They are. HongHu can build a farm on nutrient bonus squares without any restrictions.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Remember that drilling aquifers and digging boreholes are counterproductive in the long run, since boreholes make rivers disappear. Use of aquifers is best restricted to an all-forest terraforming plan.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                Remember that drilling aquifers and digging boreholes are counterproductive in the long run, since boreholes make rivers disappear. Use of aquifers is best restricted to an all-forest terraforming plan.
                I always figured that it made quite a waterfall where a river fell into the borehole.

If you begin boreholing at the coast the impact on rivers will be minimal -- the uphill portions of the river should be unaffected
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Condensors and Farms on a rainy allow 4 nuts pre Gene Splice. This is an exception to the restrictions and DOES NOT require a special to allow this exception. With nut specials as previously indicated it allows 7 pre gene splice.

This exception to restricition lifting is especially critical for a blind/tech stag game (say as a worst case Miriam) who would like to pop boom but can't aquire the requisite nuts to sustain the boom as the requisite restriction liftng techs may come as late as 100-200+ years. In any event aquiring WP allows some freedom of choice in your tech beelines. Rather than being forced towards planetary econ to allow tree farms and a subsequent pop boom, you can look at more warrior like ways of going towards D:AP/MMI and fusion or if you desire more builderish ways towards clean reactors for intensive former builds and massive t-forming projects, while still having an ability to gather requisiste nuts to allow pop booms.

All in all WP IMO is the One SP that kills for all factions and if your going to get one and only one it should be WP.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I usually find it very rewarding to have a borehole on top of a mineral rich square. This negates the effect of the underlying terrain - rocky/rolling/flat - and produces 8 mineral + 2 energy. The same often goes for energy rich squares: 2 mineral + 8 energy.

If it takes too long to get the restrictions lifted, I crawl them in!

The Weather Paradigm is the ONLY Secret Project I would HATE to miss

Comment

What's all this about having condensers and farms on the same square?!

Comment

Its a way of beating the restrictions on nut production befor the limit is removed.

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

The Weather Paradigm does not enable the Drill to Aquifer order. It enables only Boreholes, Condensors, and Raise/Lower Elevation, along with the increased terraforming rate. You still have to wait for Ecological Engineering for the Drill to Aquifer order.

A note about the terraforming rate, because many misunderstand the mathematics: It speeds terraforming by 50%, which means in each turn a Former will do 1.5 (=3/2) times the normal work. The result is that it takes 2/3 the normal time to complete a task, not 1/2. For example, a Solar Collector normally takes 6 turns to complete. With The Weather Paradigm, it takes 4 turns, not 3.
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

gwillybj, aren't you thinking maybe of soil enrichers? I just checked, and I'm perfectly able to Drill to Aquifer once the Weather Paradigm is complete...

Thanks for the note on terraform rates

Comment

The Documentation is Wrong

O woe is me ! How can it be ?

The Weather Paradigm
                              Increases terraforming speed by 50% for all tasks except for Remove Fungus. Your formers may build Condensors and Boreholes, and may raise/lower terrain, even if you have not yet discovered the appropriate technologies.
                              Rubin: No, Soil Enricher is Advanced Ecological Engineering.
                              I was quoting the documentation, which is identical (as quoted in this post) in three places: the in-game Help, the Manual, and the Prima guide. So I checked with the Scenario Editor, to be sure, and not only does the documentation omit Drill to Aquifer, but Echelon Mirror is also enabled ! So that means all terraforming orders normally reserved until Ecological Engineering, except Plant Fungus, are enabled by The Weather Paradigm!

The documentation is correct in that Remove Fungus is not speeded.

Thanks for the friendly heads-up !
                              I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X