newbie discovers choppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie discovers choppers

Im still playing my first full SMAC game on librarian level.

Ive now got choppers and copters.

They seem a tad overbalanced???

Before I was beating the AI. Now im overwhelming it.

Is that the general agreement that this unit is overpowering? Kinda throws single player out of whack, the way fundie, ICS, and howies did in Civ2?

Im particularly surprised, given the power of howies in civ2, that the SMAC design team wasnt more careful with mutiple attack units.

Other interesting thing is the tech tree on attack weapons - i seem to have gone straight from attack factors of 4 to attack factors of 8. Huge jump, puts me way ahead of the AI. Im hardly even bothering with higher attack factors as they come up.

Of course this is playing on librarian level - perhaps on higher levels I will need these to deal with the AI.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

You missed two weapons somewhere, gatling laser (5) and missile launcher (6), and the AI will wise up and start putting AAA on its defenders on higher levels. I find the Chaos gun (8) is very soon out of date against the defence 4 armour. Play on Transcend, and copters still rock, but not so much. The AI can't use them though

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Copters are really over-powering against the AI, but because every player knows this when an MP game comes around every1 has choppers and a AAA+aerospace+sensor unit in most outer bases to stop em dead
      Play on a higher level and if you're not that experienced choppers will be your life saver.
      Weapons on the tech tree are arranged badly, when i first started playing i remember skipping out 5 and 6 fairly often but now i make getting 6 first a priority for the air power that it leads to. Fusion lasers (10) are also useless since shard (13) comes so soon afterwards.
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
        You missed two weapons somewhere, gatling laser (5) and missile launcher (6), and the AI will wise up and start putting AAA on its defenders on higher levels. I find the Chaos gun (8) is very soon out of date against the defence 4 armour. Play on Transcend, and copters still rock, but not so much. The AI can't use them though

-Jam
        ive been fighting miriam whose defenders mainly have 3 armor. then went to war with Lal, who mainly has defenders with 2 armor. Chaos gun (8) seems quite enough. Hive is my ally, Morgan is gone, and Deirdre is marginal. Soon only real opponent will be Santiago, off building up in isolation on her own large continent (with an occasional raid from me). I may use more advanced weapons for that attack, but by then my resource advantage should be overwhelming.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Choppers are pretty insane, especially when combined with drop troops, but to be honest, a smart player will have AAA garrisons, sensors and most important of all, INTERCEPTORS ready to engage your choppers. Are they overpowered? Perhaps. Can they be countered? Certainly.

Comment

AAA Garison + Aerospace Complex = dead choppers in my experience

LotM, if you're only attacking 2 and 3 armour then really the Chaos gun will be enough. Untill you fight the Spartans elite troops that is, who often have +50% from extremely high morale. But by then you'll have better weapons.

Time to up the difficulty, methinks

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Am I the only one who caught the fact that the HIVE was his ally? That is remarkable.

If you wait, you'll find that the AI will surprise you. When they get the famed "Planet Buster", you'll know that the game get's more balanced out. Especially when they use it on you

(I'm still mad that Miriam used them on me.....more than once)
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I can never get the Hive as my ally, whatever I do. How odd

-Jam

Comment

same here, despite playing as the Hive, running police state, being at war with Lal and giving him all the techs he wants the only time hes nice to me is when i leave him to fight all other AI factions and he needs my help. Naturally if he says please I usually do unless i've ben insulted

Then again all AI are fairly co-operative on librarian
                  Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

But it works the other way around too, playing as the Hive you don't get many friends... I'll never forget winning a diplomatic victory as the Hive, only to have my rule rejected by Deirdre, Morgan and Lal. I mean they really must have hated me. That was a short and sweet final war, with Miriam and the Spartans helping me

-Jam

Comment

Some people can use choppers to dominate the AI and win the game about three years after their discovery. Not me, though.
                      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Everyone agrees that choppers are super-powerful but in a MP game, everyone has the same opportunity to use them. And they can be defended against . . .as 4 armour in an AC with AA is effectively a defense of 16 ( before sensors) when the best weapon around is 13 attack.

Against the AI well . . . their tactics are laughable. I once had an AI pour needlejets into their closest base to me with no other defenders. IIRC I killed over 30 in one turn.

Quite simply, the AI has no idea how to deal with choppers and drop troops.
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

Time to up the difficulty, methinks

-Jam
                          well yeah, but i'd like to at least finish this game - i'm closing on a diplo victory, but not there yet.

(and BTW, when i proposed myself for supreme ruler, Hive voted for me. Still not enough, though)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
                            same here, despite playing as the Hive, running police state, being at war with Lal and giving him all the techs he wants the only time hes nice to me is when i leave him to fight all other AI factions and he needs my help. Naturally if he says please I usually do unless i've ben insulted

Then again all AI are fairly co-operative on librarian

Thats the level im playing on, and ive been running a police state.

Comment

re skipped weapons

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              Other interesting thing is the tech tree on attack weapons - I seem to have gone straight from attack factors of 4 to attack factors of 8. Huge jump, puts me way ahead of the AI.
                              This is a common result of obtaining (trading, buying, extorting, stealing) techs from other factions. You will do the same thing with armor sometimes.
                              I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X