SMAC is being severely spanked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC is being severely spanked...

... at the GalCiv forum, more specifically in this thread.

We already discussed how weak the AI in SMAC is, but our beloved game is being so dissed out there that somehow I thought it was unfair...
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

No need to start an inter-board flame-war, if those morons can't appreciate a better game when they see one, it's their loss. And when are people going to stop crying about the AI? If you want to play a game that a computer has a chance of beating you at, Chessmaster is quite challenging.

Comment

*yawn* Why should I care what some bozo's are thinking in another thread. If they had any brains, they would be in this thread and witness the glory that is Sheng-ji Yang.

But then again.....if we can't say anything nice, we shouldn't say anything at all.
      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
      *****Citizen of the Hive****
      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

additionally, we would already have a bias for AC and they have a preference for whatever game that waste of plastic is. So no matter what, I don't think there would be objectiveness in the debate.

Take THAT GalCiv!
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Hey, I started playing GalCiv yesterday, and its going straight into my select list of games that I'll play for ever. It will join SMAC, Civ1, Colonisation and MoM. There is no higher honour I can imagine for a game to say it is as good as SMAC, but I will say so for GalCiv.

SMAC:
          Graphics : adequate
          Sound : adequate
          AI : interesting
          Gameplay : strong
          Replay : infinite
          Feel : involving

GalCiv:
          AI : strong
          Replay : don't know yet
          Feel : pretty involving

Overall I would recommend GalCiv to anyone who likes SMAC. In a way it's the real sequel to SMAC and MoO2.

(SMAC stays as my No.1 game though )

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I'd say the SMAC AI isn't very good, but that's only because SMAC is the most deep and complex game in the entire Civ series. No wonder then the AI performs better in other games!
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art

SMAC:
              AI : interesting
              Replay : infinite
              Feel : involving

GalCiv:
              AI : strong
              Replay : don't know yet
              Feel : pretty involving
              Please define "pretty" in this context. More involving or less involving than SMAC?

pret·ty
              adj. pret·ti·er, pret·ti·est
              1 Pleasing or attractive in a graceful or delicate way. See Synonyms at beautiful.
              2 Clever; adroit: a pretty maneuver.
              3 Very bad; terrible: in a pretty predicament; a situation that has reached a pretty pass.
              4 Ostensibly or superficially attractive but lacking substance or conviction: full of pretty phrases.
              5 Informal. Considerable in size or extent: a pretty fortune.

adv.
              1 To a fair degree; moderately: a pretty good student.
              2 In a pretty manner; prettily or pleasingly.
              Nit-picky this morning, aren't I?
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Nitpicking so much so that you should be slapped Making him have to replace pretty with fairly, which would mean as of right now abit less.

Smax - best 4x strategy game I've played.
                Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

GalCiv isn't same stuff for the look & feel of it... I am yet to see ANY game with a better atmosphere than SMAC has. See, all those tech voiceovers, excellent personalities for each faction leader, and lots of other stuff gives SMAC a fantastic atmosphere. And storyline... uhmm .

Now, GalCiv, IMHO, doesn't have that much of a fantastic atmosphere of feeling to it.

As far as the AI goes, well, I hope they get Soren Johnson working on it for SMAC 2, then the AI could be quite appropriate, even with all the (amazing!) complexity.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

adv.
                    1 To a fair degree; moderately: a pretty good student.

...and...

2 In a pretty manner; prettily or pleasingly.

Yes, its not quite as involving as SMAC, for example the Drengins are not as "evil" as the Hive - but they're still pretty** evil. However SMAC is far ahead in this dept. compared to almost every game. GalCiv does provide both more of a challenge, and more routes to victory - its a bit deeper. A worthy No.2 - every fan of MoO2 or SMAC should buy it.

(**Pleasing or attractive in a graceful or delicate way )

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                      No need to start an inter-board flame-war,
                      I wasn't trying to start one, after all we're all Apolytoners... I just wanted to see some brilliant minds mounting some good defense (with sensors and bunkers) against that cruel assault.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Well, unfortunately if I reply, there _will_ be a flame-war. I have extraordinary troll powers, after all.

Seriously tho, I bought Gal Civ, and while I haven't played it much, I was sort of hoping for something that at least reflected 4 intervening years of improving graphical technology.

As to the gameplay and such, I'd really need at least another 3-6 months of playtime to make a valid comparison. There were levels to SMAC that I was completely oblivious to for an awful long time, and the same might be true of Gal Civ.

Comment

May I ask what "4x" means?

Comment

E(X)plore, E(X)ploit, E(X)pand, E(X)terminate

Comment

Ah thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X