Marine Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Buggy

An amusing bug I've come across... I attacked an enemy sea colony with a marine foil, and they had a foil defending, I won the combat and captured their vessel... which remained on hold in their base Next turn I went to move my foil in as well to capture it, and I fought a losing battle against my own captured foil, which gained some experience. In cases like that I tend to reload...

I don't doubt that this is old news... but any other bugs I should look out for?

i thought that was fixed by the patch

Comment

Apaprently not... or did I just not install the patch?

Uh-oh...

Comment

Gibsie. I'll bet a dollar to a donut hole you're playing SMAX 1.0 and not 2.0.

The 2.0 patch is a must-have. Among other things, it fixes the Cyborg techsteal attribute which was broken out of the box.

Comment

Yeah, I realised that. I thought that extracting the patch into my SMAC directory would've installed it, but after reading TKG's response realised that I didn't install it properly (I had to extract what I'd extracted the first time. Nice and simple).

Comment

I'll have donut please.

Yep _ sounds really unpatched. The funniest bit is where you capture a foil in abase and all the defenders then become yours because the AI thinks they are in transit on acaptured boat.

Stupid game sometimes.

Patch it - :doitnow:
            (+1)

Comment

patchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatchpatch patchpatchPATCH!
              I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Are you supposed to always be able to capture an enemy vessel, or is it supposed to be possible to destroy it instead (as I seem to have done recently). Perhaps a round of combat can go from too undamaged to transfer to too dead? Or did I just experience another feature. (Yes, I have the 2.0 patch installed.)

Is the 50% damage (or whatever the magic % that means you take over the vessel) supposed to be an absolute percentage or a percentage of what its health was when you attacked (i.e. do pre-existing wounds matter)?

Comment

Semi-Quote from the SMAX manual:
                  If an attacking ship is equipped with the marine detachment special ability you can capture a [defending] ship 50% of the time if the health of that [defending] ship falls below 30%.

To summarize: If you have a ship with marine detachment and you pound an enemy vessel that hard it comes below 30% hit points there is a one out of 2 chance you capture that ship.

This does not count for the defender (if the defending vessel has marine detachment and the attacker comes below 30% the attacking vessel can never be captured)

Comment

I don't know if the amount of hit points at which the ship can be captured is absolute or relative to what it started with.
                    An educated guess would seem to go in favor of the relative to start:
                    If for example your unity scout rover is attacked by those pesky worms in the beginning of the game it will disengage at 50% health. When the health is up to 80% again and it is attacked another time, it will disengage at 40% health.
                    I am not sure if this goes for ship capture also.

Comment

Don't forget ships can disengage as well - really irritating when you're counting on capturing one.
                      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Can you capture transports laden with troops..?

Comment

Yes. You can also occasionally capture probe foils.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                            Can you capture transports laden with troops..?
                            Not only that, you can land the troops and take enemy cities

{thank god at least one smiley doesn't have a cap]
                            (+1)

Comment

Okay, that definitely qualifies under the bug-o-meter.

Comment

Working...
                              X