Cornering the Global Energy Market...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornering the Global Energy Market...

Does anyone know what exactly the cost of doing this is based on? The game says that it is a cost "roughly equal to mind controlling every base on planet" but I know this is not true, because I have seen the cost fluctuate a lot in single player games, IE it goes from a very large amount to half that amount in a short space of turns, without any major changes in city size/development.

I think it might be at least partially related to the amount of energy credits other factions hold in the bank. If that were true it would explain the fluctuation of the cost of cornering the market.

Does anyone have an inkling of what the formula roughly looks like?
    http://xohybabla.ru

Well, how do you know that the mindcontroling costs don't fluctuate themselves? I wouldn't be surprised if they were related to the other's treasures too.
    don't forget that Pact/submissive status alters the cornering cost too.
    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Pact status has a huge impact. In a four player Pbem, I was Morgan, opacted with the other three. Cost to corner was a little in excess of 8,000 ec Two turns later, I was at V with two of the other players, still pacted with the third, and the cost had skyrocketted to 60,000 +

I THINK your ECONOMY rating plays a role. I THINK also that the number of commerce techs you have plays a role. Lastly, I THINK that the commerce tech differential between you and the others plays a role.

According to my thinking cost decreases as each of the above increases.

Comment

Good stuff Mongoose Good to know these things for when I next play Morgan (which has been a long time). A good strat would be to bend over backwards for peace and pacts, and then pull a corporate takeover on everyone.

Btw, has anyone seen the AI attempt to corner the market? I don't remember having seen it.

Comment

Yes. I have lost to AI Morgan by energy market ~2160. I hadn't explored more than 1/3 of the map when it happened. I had no idea where he was, let alone have the ability to go take Morgan Industries in 20 turns. When I opened up the Scenario Editor, I found that he was so far away that even if I had transports already loaded in my ports, I could never get there in time...quite depressing.

Comment

Working...
          X