No announcement yet.

Expanding my gaming horizons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HoMM 4 sucks, it's far behind Heroes 2 and 3. Differs much from those previous games, for instance in using heroes in combat. It's just step back, just like Civ 3 compared with Civ 2.

Europa Universalis 2 is IMHO the best RTS, in many ways much better than the best TBS - SMAC. Try it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

So in other words, I'm not playing any of the games covered at Apolyton at the moment, and this post was a complete waste of time.
      Actually we can cancel that, since I bought Call to Power (the original) earlier today.
      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

You have my sympathies.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

Another one I personally like is Age of Empires, even though its really old.
          I have AOE II and The Conquerors expansion. They're good.

I also like Empire Earth, which I consider the ultimate epic strategy: over a dozen epochs and 500,000 years of history, and a large number of units. The graphics are better than AOE, too.
          It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

D@mn! I forgot Heroes3 too.

ADOM is great also. try it.
            My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

HoMM 3 got to be too much: 8 city types, each with 2 associated hero classes and with 6 levels of monsters (each having a normal and upgraded version) and a dozen or more structures to build (few common to all city types); spells divided into 4 categories and 5 levels, plus thirtyish character skills, each with 3 levels.

I prefer to play casually, and I found that I can't play HoMM 3 that way. It is unenjoyable unless you're prepared to concentrate on it.

I've heard others say that HoMM 4 is "too different." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                8 city types with 6 levels of monsters (each having a normal and upgraded version)
                actually, 9 city types with 7 levels of different monsters and with about a dozen of neutral monsters.....

you can play Heroes3 casually.

maybe we need a HoMM forum...

Comment

Wow, look at all the suggestions...

Anybody try the Empire earth expansion pack? I'm also considering getting it. It's probably not worth the money (just a glorified patch) but it's a sweet game so I might.
                  It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Andemagne:
                    1. Castle
                    2. Dungeon
                    3. Fortress
                    4. Inferno
                    5. Necropolis
                    6. Rampart
                    7. Stronghold
                    8. Tower
                    Neutrals: 4 elementals + 2 golems

Jmaster: EE?? RTS heresy!
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Jmaster: go for HoMM3! go for HoMM3

Straybow: so you haven't got the first expancion, Armageddons Blade, which introduces 9. town type, the Conflux, it has all the elementals and the Phoenix.
                      AB has also those dozen neutral mosters.
                      BTW which town you like best? (there is a thread about this in the "other games"-forum.)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                        Jmaster: EE?? RTS heresy!
                        Ooops. Now I'll have to watch my back.

I like all the ideas and all, but could somebody point me to a page that explains all the acroynyms? This thread is becoming alphabet soup.

Comment

Well, I don't know about in general, but those two would be Empire Earth, and Real-Time Strategy respectively.
                          The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                          Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                          All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                          "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Jmaster: CtP = Call to Power; HoMM = Heroes of Might & Magic

Andemagne: Didn't know there was an add-on for HoMM3.

Comment

HoMM3's going for budget in my local GAME shop - £5, or 3 labelled titles for £10. Is it worth it? I can almost certainly find another 2 titles (for a start, Thief II is eligible).
                              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Most definately worth it, bud!

-=Vel=-
                                PS: Dungeon and Rampart rule....

EDIT: If you've never played the game before, here would be my recommendation:

Dungeon is probably the town type of choice for new players. It's creatures are all sturdy and durable, and most have special abilities (beholders and medusas are both ranged attackers and harpys may as well be--no retaliation--manticores have flying, and black dragons are immune to all spells). Their level one guys (troglodytes) even have a special in that they have no eyes, and so, are immune to blindness. A good, solid group. When you factor in the fact that they have some of the strongest heroes in the game (pick Deemer your first time out and enjoy the ride!), and you've got a KILLER towntype.

Personally, my preference lies with Rampart....the creatures of that town type work amazingly well together...GREAT synergy! Elves are prolly pound for pound the best ranged unit in the whole game, and Dwarves/Dendriods seem indestructable in battle, able to stand toe-to-toe with bigger (higher level or more expensive) troops and hold their own.

Tower is the cadallic town type...awesome creatures across the board, but sooooo freakin' expensive. Still, there's really nothing that can stand up to massed Nagas and Titans, so if you have the money, these guys rock.

Don't write Stronghold off, by any means! The Behemoth is probably one of the scariest critters you'll ever face, and if you don't deal with them on the first round of a combat, they WILL munch your level 7 stack. Trouble is, Stronghold is all guns and no shields...they can't take a punch. Once you start putting a hurt on them, they fold pretty quickly. Takes a different mindset to play them well, but once you get a feel for them, they're awesome.

I'd steer clear of the swamp guys tho, at least at first....not because they're no good....in fact, in the right hands, they can be devastating, but are very "twitchy" and tough to play well. Gorgons are your best friends, and hands down, the best level 5 critter in the game, but you never seem to have quite enough of them....

-=Vel=-
                                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                                X