Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get the sound to work with this game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get the sound to work with this game?

OK I haven't played since 1999. Originally I had a problem with duplicate sound- namely on the voices. No I have no game sounds at all, although the movies work perfectly.

Any ideas? I reinstalled the game. And I downloaed patch 4.0. I don't have the expansion.

I'm kicking ass as the University, but its just not the same with no sound.

disregard. I finally remembered the .ini file line I had to change last time.

It's that dsd line. I changed it from 1 to 0.

Comment

Is the sound turned on in game and on your computer? I know it's a stupid question but it never hurts to make sure.

Does sound play outside of SMAC? What's your soundcard? Some cheaper cards don't allow multiple things to play at once, i.e. if you have winamp open SMAC will get no sound. You said you were getting movie sound but not game sound correct? If this is the case I'm 99% sure its the soundcard. On my old card the only time I could play multiple sounds was if one of the sources was from a CD (SMAC movies for example). Oddly enough, even if the movies were being played on the harddrive I would get sound (something to do with the file format).

I would say just make sure you have no other programs running when you start SMAC.
      "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Thanks, I got it.

It's a line in the .ini file I had to change.

Comment

Just an aside, I haven't found the sound that enthralling. Maybe it's cute to have the combat noise, but the spoken quotes that accompany tech advances, SPs pall after a few games. I keep hearing in my head "Have you drunk your Phil?" after the last advance.

Comment

The trouble is, I wind up with really good quotes I've nevr heard because it's too tempting just to slam Enter when a new facility/tech advance comes u. And some of them are so worth leaving on - the Kierkegaard quote for one of the Secrets ('and when the hourglass has run out') is so perfect and atmospheric. Not to mention Dee's skyfarms quote, or the Network Node one All the philosophy ones are well worth hearing, and the quote for the Bioenhancement Centre ('we are all aware that the senses can be deceived') is fantastic
            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

The best quote hands down is Zak's quote for the Temple of Planet. I think it's fac32.mp3 in your sound folder if you want to listen to it directly.

EXTERMINAAAATED!
              "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

yeah I played probably 40 or 50 turns with no sound. It's just not the same.

Well I'm done with my game. I probably won't play for another 3 years

Comment

I have the duplicate voice string problem but my ini file doesn't have a "dsd" line…
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I just get echoes occasionally and horrible static-y cutouts. I can live with em, though.

And the Temple of Planet quote is classic Let the Gaians preach their seelly religion...
                    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

CS, Does your ini file have a "dsd" entry?
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

damn after a hard drive reformat, and I reisntall SMAC, now I don't have any lines in my alphacentauri.ini file. Now I don't know what to do.

Comment

ds3d=0

and

EAX=0
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            damn after a hard drive reformat, and I reisntall SMAC, now I don't have any lines in my alphacentauri.ini file. Now I don't know what to do.
                            There will not be any lines until you start the first game, but you can add some of the lines anyway. Particularly if you have trouble starting the games, see the instrustion for forceoldvoxelalgorithm.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

ahh yeah I noticed that. After I started my first game the lines came up.

I only did the dsd line. That should be 0 for me. Thanks

disregard

Comment

Working...
                              X