Firaxis promise SMAC update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firaxis promise SMAC update!

An update for SMAC to allow it to run under Win2000/XP has been announced by Firaxis.

Of course, what WE all loyal SMAC gamers want to know is, why then can they not spend some time bringing out another patch and fixing some of those irritating bugs?
    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

That seems a strange idea. Go to the time to work with a new OS, but leave some of the bugs in? Where was this announced, and can Apolyton get enough preassure to get them to fix them?

Hmm, only reason they would be doing it is if Smac was STILL selling in some number after all these years? Why else would they do it?

Comment

Why else would they do it?
      cause they are really nice people?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Comstr
        Hmm, only reason they would be doing it is if Smac was STILL selling in some number after all these years? Why else would they do it?

Or maybe they intend to use the engine again and would have to adapt it to XP anyway. A little goodwill now, a new game...whenever? Possible?

Comment

Is this from the Firaxis website or a news item somewhere else? Anybody have the link?

Comment

It's right up there on the articles list...

Direct link is simply http://apolyton.net/misc/
            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

It is still selling, believe me. I bought a copy last week.
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I cannot really buy into this stuff. Why should they want to make a compatibility update of SMAC when they apparently don't want to sell SMAX any more (which apparently contains the last fixes also for SMAC)?
                Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

After checking out the site, I've never read that there was a problem with XP/2000 with Smac in the 1st place?

And they seemed not have patched SMG any furhter, so it looks like ther're being cheap about it.

Comment

Adalbertus,

Firaxis I beleive would like nothing more than to continue selling SMAX. The decision to not do another print and release lies solely with the publisher. For whatever reason EA (I believe) chose not to continue distributing the game.

Shame if you ask me.

Og
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I haven't had any problems under neither 2k nor XP. Does anyone know of any reported problems?
                      /Cesa

Comment

Check back a little while, there are several threads where people have been having a tough time getting SMAC to run with these operating systems. As I am still running 95 and 98 respectively, I haven't paid much attention.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

There is apparently a compatibility problem with XP and AXstart.

I never had that, but then I use the no-cd crack for both smac and smax, which shortcuts right to the .exe program. That's apparently worked for some others with XP problems.

Major problem I have with XP is the edge-of-map freeze. Manually move a unit to any of the top (or bottom) row of tiles and the game freezes if you try to have that unit interact with anything else (another unit, Unity Seedpod, etc). Only solution we've found is to put it on automatic for that move and the AI takes it and moves it, then one can resume control and play again.

None of the other usual suspect crashes, though. No interceptor bug (may be more of a memory size isseu, though).

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                            None of the other usual suspect crashes, though. No interceptor bug (may be more of a memory size isseu, though).
                            Are you saying interceptors do not crash the program when intercepting in your XP setup?

I don't think it is a memory issue - more to do with win98 wheel mouse driver?

Comment

I have not had any problems with SMAC in XP. Have not tried SMAX, though.
                              Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                              http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X