Argh... newbie questions, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh... newbie questions, help!

I've checked the manual and I cannot figure out a couple of things..... I hope someone here can give me some instructions!

1) How do I connect and Alien Artifact to my Network Node? I brought it into the base that had one built, but nothing happened. Is there a command I have to give it? What command?

2) How do I turn off the Governor? I checked all the Settings, and it isn't in there (under Automation).

Thanks so much in advance!!

You can only connect one Alien Artifact to one Network Node (normally speaking). In order to cash in the AA you'll need to move it to another base with a virgin Net Node.

One of the SP's (Universal Translator?) I beleive will allow you to cash in a limitless amount of AA's.

If for some reason you forget during the course of the game if a net node has been used. Open up the base screen and look at the facilities. If the net node say (linked) you've already linked up an AA to it.

Og
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The linked notation on the base screen, for some ungodly reason, only appears at lLOWER monitor resolutions. You can however use the go to command when the artifact is active, and IIRC, the list of bases to go to will have some india as to wheter is has been linked or is linkable.
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

So then do I just walk the AA into the base, and the rest is taken care of automatically (assuming I have a fresh Network Node there)? Because I had a new Node, and when I brought the AA into the base, nothing happened. It just sat there and blinked.

Comment

Try to put the artifact on hold (press H) in the base with the net node, it will then ask if you want to link it.

Comment

Alright, I'll try that later.... thanks! Now, how do I deactivate the Governor? I love to micromanage everything, hehe.

Comment

If it is a vigin network node, just press enter, and a popup will come up asking what you want to do with your AA.

IIRC, it's at 1024x768 res, that the "linked" doesn't show up on the base display. Googlie posted the following technique in a thread, which I now use:

Select the facility from the base screen, and select "scrap and recyle." If the node is virgin, it will say something like: "Do you wish to scrap and recycle your NN for 40 ec." Select NO, of course.

If the NN is already linked the message will say something like: "This NN is already linked to an AA. It cannot be recycled. Do you wish to destroy it." Again of course select no.

Check your other bases for a vigin node, and move your AA there. Alternatively move your AA to a base without a NN. Build one, and when complete the AA will activate(even if on hold), and when you press enter you will be able to link it.

The reason I know all this so well, is because I am Gaia, in NU2, and have linked maybe 20 AAs so far. I am just building the UT next turn, so that should help. You just gotta love the Gaians. No FM, and +1 planet, so you just can help but "see the world".

bc

edit: thanks, Blake. "H" is a better idea than enter, as you can do that without having to check the node, and not waste the AAs movement, if it already has been linked.
              Team 'Poly

Comment

I learnt that from playing IP games, the ever considerate Firaxis disabled the entering base link-popup in IP games, meaning I had to discover all sorts of new commands, like O for crawlers and H for artifacts. The H thing also helps when you transport an AA to a base.

Comment

Thanks again for being so helpful. Now, how do I turn off that Governor???

And another thing, I'm playing my first game ever as Spartans. Is that a good choice for a newbie?

Comment

I would never publicly admit to ever having turned a govoner ON, so I dont know how to turn one off. But I remember something about color bars on the base screen which you click on to turn govs on and off, it is highlighted when the gov is on so just click on it again to turn it off.

Most players would reccomend starting with the University or Peacekeepers, but there are a wide range of effective play styles for the Spartans so you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

one-click stopping

Originally posted by Freelance
                      ... how do I turn off that Governor???
                      In the Base Management Screen, at the top, in the middle, is the Governor button. If it is highlighted (bright red), click it. It will de-light (dark red) and you're in charge! If you're still not sure, click one of the arrows on either side of that Governor button and a menu will drop down. The first item is "Governor is active." If that is not highlighted, there's no Governor.
                      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Spartans are a decent choice but are a little more difficult than the uni or gaians for example.

On the governor thing, I seem to recall that the color of the base icon on the F4 screen seemed to change when a base accidentally had the governor enabled.

All I can say is ALWAYS turn off the governor!!
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                          ... On the governor thing, I seem to recall that the color of the base icon on the F4 screen seemed to change when a base accidentally had the governor enabled...

All I can say is ALWAYS turn off the governor!!
                          Yep: Black = No Governor or No Priority, Green = Explore, White = Discover, Yellow = Build, Red = Conquer. If "multiple priorities" is enabled, the color will be the left-most active priority, in the same order as above. It will also have the word in color under the base name, or "Governor Off".
                          In the map window, if the Governor is off and you have production on (map preferences menu) you will see only what is being produced. If the Governor is on, you will see the priority and the production.
                          Guess who uses Governors .
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelance
                            And another thing, I'm playing my first game ever as Spartans. Is that a good choice for a newbie?
                            I've just started playing, too (~2 weeks).

Haven't played Spartans, but I figure they would be a good choice if you're playing at a medium or high difficulty during the early game, as the mind worms seem to get tougher as the difficulty goes up, even when they're young. (can someone confirm?)

Also, having a high Morale Bonus from the get-go also means you can explore unity pods without being too afraid of getting a Mind Worm infestation because you can probably handle yourself.

Spartans seems like a pretty straightforward choice. To me, it's like taking a "Fighter" in an RPG--not too much thinking involved as to what they're good at and how to use them.

Aside:
                            I played Gaians recently, and WOW! That +2 Planet bonus really helps to build a sizable force for defending bases. Isles of the Deep are also superior to transport foils, as their carrying capacity goes up as they mature.
                            In that game I built one Scout, then never any military until the Usurpers started getting too big and had to be made extinct--er, for the good of Planet, of course.
                            I never had to build artillery units because I'd captured something like 8 Spore Launchers.

Comment

Thanks again for the help, I beat the map last night as Spartans.... I did the "conquer everyone" strat (which the Spartans seemed suited to) and it wasn't hard at all. Now, I'll have to try it on the next difficulty, hehe. I had it on the easiest one.

Comment

Working...
                              X