Ending a Pact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending a Pact

This is related to the recent thread on Psychological Warfare, but I wanted to explore some of these ideas further.

Often in multiplayer games, when meeting a human player in the game, I will agree to a treaty and soon upgrade to a pact. Usually, it is pretty casual (Player 1: "Want a pact?" Player 2: "Yeah, OK") and just for the mutual benefit of the commerce income. At least to me, a pact till the end is not implied.

In one of my games now I am in pacts with all of the players but one, and treatied with him. It's around midgame, and I am far in the lead. Assuming I can go on to win (always a big assumption), I don't want to have a cooperative victory with everybody. Maybe with one other person, if we work well together as a team. So it's time to start reducing the number of pacts. And here's another scenario: suppose in a game like I described, there is an opportunity to go on the offensive and eliminate a weaker human faction, but they happen to be a pactmate.

So here are my two questions:

1. What do you all think about the ethics or etiquette of making "pacts of convenience" with human players and later ending them?

2. What about attacking a pactmate?

(And don't tell the people in my game. )
    "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Well in a certain respect, all's fair. Go ahead...BUT...

There is a larger, ongoing issue involved. Like it or not, reputation DOES carry from one game to another, and word gets around in the pbem community. An out of the blue stab of a pactmate will probably result in nobody that knows about it ever trusting you in any game again. Also sure to be repaid by somebody else, sometime, just for the generalhell of it. I say this even were it a masterful stroke that won the game for you.

And by all means, don't launch such a stab and fail, or even fall short of eradicating the poor chap!

Comment

If you are pacted with another PBEMer and she trancends, then you do *not* win. She wins, and you loose. If she wins a military victory, *then* it is a co-op.

OTOH, if you have a pact-to-the-end, or perma-pact, then it would be up to her to declare that you are a co-winner.

I sometimes make pact-to-the-ends out of convienience. If co-op is allowed in MP games, then it is almost a must in 7 player games.

However in 4 player tournament games, I try to make somewhat more limited pacts. IE: pact for 50 years, pact until x tech. pact for this plan gov elec, and the next. That sort of thing.

If the others are aware of the metagame, then they should gang up on you 3 on 1 before you run away with it, but so far, I have found that when you are big and strong, then they are all afraid to be your enemy.
      Team 'Poly

Comment

Originally posted by big_canuk
        If you are pacted with another PBEMer and she trancends, then you do *not* win. She wins, and you loose. If she wins a military victory, *then* it is a co-op.
        My understanding is that if you are pacted with a player who transcends, conquers or gets voted supreme leader, you do enjoy the co-operative victory. You get the "consolation" prize of the return to earth movie - (Epilogue 2, Interlude 18 from Interludes.txt)

Epilogue 1, Interlude 17 covers your winning by transcendence, interlude 19 is your conquest, and interlude 20 is you being voted el supremo. Any pactmmate of yours in all 3 situations will get the Interlude 18

I think the reason in PBEMs that we don't see the co-op victory movie for pactmates is that players rarely play the next turn after the winner transcends.

G.

Comment

I don't think you CAN play the next turn after a player transcends in PBEM.

Comment

G., I agree with you that a pactmate in the game in a "sub-winner." They share in the triumph of the end of game movies.

I am talking for PBEM scoring, or points status.

For example, Misotu trancended in AXT007, with 2 of us pacted to her. She was outright winner.

I got elected supreme leader in AXT036. Paul was pacted with me. I was outright winner.

However, If you were pacted with someone, and you had a military victory, then that would nescesssarily be "co-op." All pacted members would presumably have contributed, therefore the shared status.

Also, of course, any of the other victories could be co-op, it that agreement was made ahead of time in the form of a permenant pact. Here, of course, it would be up to the victor, to announce that she had co-winners.
            Team 'Poly

Comment

Aha - that clarifies things (and Mongoose - you are right - it's only in SP games where an AI pactmate transcends that you get the "lessor victory" movie)

Not all PBEMs whose turn reporting threads are here are tourney matches with points attached - maybe about half? I realize now that b_c was answering from the narrower viewpoint.

G.

Comment

b_c, I don't understand your distinction between "outright winner" and the rest.

I read what is reported in the datalinks, and it's NOT like you say. Maybe the scoring doesn't work till the last decimal with shared victories. Actually, I admit that I have problems to verify the correctness of the Datalinks regarding the way the popualtion points are ac****ed for in the final score.

But I always went with the DL version, as it was never proved the contrary to me. Maybe was it debated here long ago?

IF "co-op" victory is enabled, and this is an initial setting of te game, ANY kind of victory is co-op.
                True, you don't need to eradicate every non-Pactmate with Transcendence, Diplomatic or Economic Victories.

The nature of those Victories is that you CAN win with enemies alive (or neutral leaders).
                The nature of Conquest Victory is that you MUST kill at least someone to win, and precisely ALL those who are not Pacted with you (yes no neutral friends allowed).To avoid making it to easy it was determined that at most 3 factions can share it.

But when co-op Victory game setting is enabled, for ANY kind of Victory, ALL the Pactmates of the one triggering the Victory condition DO participate in the victory.
                THIS is the meaning of the *concept* of co-op Victory, THIS is the way the game works as far as I could realise in these 3 years of SP and PBEM play.

Then, you could argue whether the "front-page" glory, or the bigger AC scoring, have a greater importance within the winning *coalition*.

___

So if you were giving an answer/warning to Darius and Mongoose about how SMAC pbem victory works, your statements are totally misleading, IMHO.

What you say DOES NOT apply to a pbem game winning and AC SCORING.
                That is, not to a GENERIC pbem, even played at Apolyton.

It is a CUSTOM, private convention about how to handle a private scroing system outside of the single game, which only applies to the PBEMs played in the frame of the Apolyton Tournament.

If you say those things to a generic SMACer anywhere, you'd be giving him false infos....

___

Just to make a last point clear: in AT, you need for players to declare perma-pacts beforehand and the winner decides who of his/her pactmates he wants to share the victory with (for the purposes of your custommeta-scoring ONLY).

In REAL, NORMAL play instead, if you don't end the Pact with a player before getting a Victory, that player will have all the right to claim that in that match he shared the Victory with you, notwithstanding what your intentions were.
                I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

My understanding has always been like MariOne's, that all pactmates share in a cooperative victory. But that was not really my point. And whether the one player who triggers the victory gets a higher score is quite irrelevant to me. I never even look at the score. I only play to win or lose, not to get a higher score. But all that is not the point either.

What I wanted to discuss was this: First, do you regard a pact as permanent? big_canuk has said that he sometimes places specific time limits or other limits when forming a pact. What about everyone else? And second, if you do decide you no longer want a pact with someone, what is an honorable way out? Do you just say you don't want a pact any more, or do you need a more concrete reason to withdraw from a pact?
                  "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

darius

I try to play "honorably" and in character so i take a dim view on pactmates attacking each other . . . To me it would be as if the US suddenly invaded Great Britain . . .it just makes no sense ideologically and in relating the game to any "realistic" situation, a 50 year ally just does not attack without some form of warning.

But this is just a "game" and I understand that many people feel differently.

I will agree with bc that there are different types of pacts

pact to the end --- you should keep those always
                    pact for trade -- a simple convenience with no obligations
                    other pacts -- depends on the agreement

With humans playing, the relationship is never as simple as vendetta/truce/treaty/pact and to me it is the underlying relationship that is key. A treaty with a lot of mutual promises might carry more weight than a pact for trade.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Like Flubber, I use pacts in roughly the same 3 ways:

A Pact of Intent - to win the game together or die together in the attempting - inviolate

A Sunset Pact - with a specific term limit, renewable by default unless notice is given otherwise prior to the term expiration

A Pact of Convenience - solely for the commerce income, or because we are on the same continent and it makes sense for this particular stage of the game not to worry about borders. Or perhaps to leapfrog another player with a huge tech lead where we pact for the convenience of seeing each other's techs and research goals

While Pacts among human PBEMers usually can be abrogated by due notice (and surprise attacks are hard - as on cancelling the Pact all units are returned to nearest base - but not impossible if chop and drop, for example, is used) I've found in practice that Pacts get broken only for a go-it-alone attempt at transcendence.

I would not personally hold it against another player if he/she abrogated a pact for a run at solo transcendence (ie I would still play subsequent games with that player - but would be wary of pacting in future games)

G.

Comment

Well...

It looks like it is a good thing we discuss this. Thanks Darius, for bringing it up.

I am a relative newcomer here, so I was only speaking my impression of what I have learned in my games so far. It is certainly up to the designers and players of a game, how they want to treat other "co-op" type victories.

I guess I *was* misleading, in implying that a pactmate of a player who trancends would *not win*, unless a permenant pact had been promised.

I am always *very* careful when making a pact to say;

1. "This is permenant"
                        2. "This is temporary(though it has the possibility of becoming permenant)"
                        3. "This is temporary and has no possibility of becoming permenant, because I already have enough, or the limit of permenant pactmates."

If you have a non-permenant pactmate along for the ride, and approach trancendence, I think it would be just cheesy to cancel the pact just before trancendence. A more "honourable" way, IMHO is to trancend pacted, with her having the knowledge that she has lost to you.

The reason I made the distiction for a military victory, is that probably a pactmate would have participated in a military victory. I am in a game now, where I am about to eliminate the last AI, having already eliminated 2 other AIs, and a human player.

Before I eliminate the last AI base, I will have to drop one of my pactmates to treaty status, for one turn. We can then go back to pact. I have no problem doing this, as both pactmates understand that we do not all have a pact to the death, and that they have not both materially contributed to the military win.

OTOH, if 3 of us had been allied to take down a superior MP human, unless it was explicitly stated otherwise before hand, I would be honour bound to co-op with the others, even if I was way ahead of them, because without their help, I would have lost.

This is not about the datalinks. This is about who wins the game. Hey, I try to be explicit. If I wasn't and someone misunderstands, I would be first in line to share victory.

After all, why do we play this game? I would rather a very difficult well fought loss, than an easy victory. Scoring is just something extra, so that we can make more fun future pairings. It's baggage we need, so we can get to the point:

*fun gaming, with the best: smac.*

bc

edit: x-post with G.
                        Team 'Poly

Comment

Originally posted by Darius

What I wanted to discuss was this: First, do you regard a pact as permanent?
                          This is the question. I suggest instead of saying, "Want a pact?" in the diplo screen, taking the time to be more specific. Almost always, i start out slow, and build to the permapact.

And second, if you do decide you no longer want a pact with someone, what is an honorable way out? Do you just say you don't want a pact any more, or do you need a more concrete reason to withdraw from a pact?
                          This depends on the type of pact. I have never and will never initiate the cancellation of a permenant pact. I suppose there could be reasons, but i can't think of any gamers that are that close to my personal life.

For temporary pacts, I think that if you have a non-aggression pact for a certain # of years, and that if your pactmate was threating you too early, you could end the pact. I however would be hesitant to end and attack, all in the same turn.

Pacts of convience or just economics are just that. I have had those ended and been attacked in the same turn. I was a bit unprepared, but not surprised. If they had not attacked then, they would have been toast by now.

It all boils down to what you think is fair, and how the others feel too. I try to be as specific as possible.

Darius, if you haven't so far, you should ask your pactmates, what they think the terms of the pact are. In all likelyhood, you will all feel the same. If not, I am inclined to be generous. You must do as you see fit.

I guess this brings to mind WDRS. In that one, Darius was in a tight spot. Mark and I tried to save him from a Jungle-Yang, right beside him, but could not. I offered Darius a possible submissive pact. I was Morgan, and in character, I offered him a loan, with fairly reasonable(though not overly generous) terms of repayment. The condition was, that if he didn't make the payments, he would become my submissive.

This also brings up the point: do others have to know the nature of your pacts? I would say, probably not. You should be able to see, if you have infiltration, the different behaviours of a permenant, versus a non-permenant pact. On the other hand, misleading a player into thinking a temporary pact could become permenant, when it could not, or would not, would be IMHO, a bit unfair.

I don't know if it is possible to state all the rules for pacts and breaking them ahead of time. You should be as explicit as possible. Or perhaps if you have something sneaky planned, you should be as unexplicit as possible. Then it would be up to you pactmate to extract explicitness from you. It is all part of the game.

And don't forget. Your reputation does follow you. I know mine does.

bc

bc
                          Team 'Poly

Comment

On a related note, how far are you supposed to go in trying to maintain a treaty?

In a MP game I have pledged treaty and peace to a player on a neighboring continent ( met 60 years ago or so and treatied since). We both then attacked an AI separately and took a good chunk of the jungle (on my friends continent). MY friend then proposed an arrangement where we each gave back two bases to the AI to keep a buffer between us. I agreed and in the course of the next two turns, he surrendered 2 bases to the AI one per turn and I one (AI would not answer my second call which I informed my friend). In the meantime I suprise-attacked and eradicated another human player (whom I only had a truce with and promised nothing) over the course of 3-4 years. Then without warning ( and starting within 5 years of our base surrenders) my "friend" took pretty much all the lands in the jungle from the AI including the previously surrendered bases. When questioned, he says that our agreement had no time frame and therefore he is not violating anything. Also he says that my aggressive acts elsewhere give me little reason to complain. Now I find a unit of his in the fungus behind my jungle base (on the far side from his territory).

So a couple of questions arise from this

1. Do most people think that an attack on a party not allied to either of the treaty mates should invalidate an agreement ? Or is it irrelevant ?

2. How specific do people get in their treaties ? When someone says lets "keep" a buffer am I wrong to expect more than 5 turns of its existence or is it practice to go into great detail. ( I'm a lawyer --I want a game to be a game and defining sub-clauses seems too much like work). Can any goodwill be assumed or do you always have to specify every detail as if it were a legal document?

3. Can you envision any acceptable excuse for finding an unannounced unit hiding in the fungus in the base radii of a base you have held for about 15 years? (and shame on me for not putting up a sensor LOL)

I am waiting for the response of my friend now but I have often been curious as to how people generally do treaties and this current example raised a few questions
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Flub:

The treaty you had, seemed to mean, "We will probably fight in the future, but we will put if off for a while, so I can get in a better position to do so." -- with "I" meaning that each party thought they could benefit more from the delay.

So...

You improved markedly by consuming another MP player. Of course he broke the treaty. But he had to do something. He probably thought by waiting, he would improve by more than you. He did not. He decided to take the Jungle to compensate, at the risk of provoking you. You ask is attacking a third party justification for breaking the treaty. The question should be, is anything you do that would give you a decisive road to victory, grounds for breaking a treaty. I would say yes.

As I see myself pulling ahead, either in military, research, or size (the big three), I will solidify my lead by diverting resources to the one where I am least ahead. When you have a commanding lead in all three, then there is nothing the other can do. Lag in just one, and it can be the undoing of a lead in the other 2.

You can wait further, or attack now if the time is right. Or you can apply some of that legal mumbo jumbo, and make a more specific treaty. Realize that during the "negotiation", you will both be improving. Who will improve more. If it's him, then you may wish to bypass the negotiations.

As to the unit in the fungus, I will do this sometimes too. I hate to soil my reputation, by being the attacker. Especially if I am ahead. So I needle my opponents. Then they attack me, and I just protect myself (by eradicating them ).

I couldn't help notice that you were over on his continent. Did you have your own as well, or were you sharing just one? I would say that if you had your own, plus part of his, that would be justification enough for him to be "concerned."
                              Team 'Poly

Comment

Working...
                              X