CPU Not Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Not Supported

I'm running a Dell with plenty of Ram and a pentium 4 processor, with Win XP.
    Yet when starting the game it crashes frequently.
    I tried downloading the latest patch but couldn't get it from this site, so I did a search and found a version elsewhere.
    Now when I try to start the game it tells me my CPU isn't supported.

Any ideas anyone?

Per the readme file, for cpu not supported, change a AlphaCentauri.ini file line
    ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to
    ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Re: CPU Not Supported

Originally posted by Leviticus
      I'm running a Dell with plenty of Ram and a pentium 4 processor, with Win XP.
      Yet when starting the game it crashes frequently.
      I tried downloading the latest patch but couldn't get it from this site, so I did a search and found a version elsewhere.
      Now when I try to start the game it tells me my CPU isn't supported.

Any ideas anyone?

Leviticus--
      I'm having the same problem. I'm using WinXP but I cannot play Alpha Centauri on this platform. Can you please tell me if you found a fix for this problem, and, if so, what you did to be able to play the game on the XP? Thanks! --Phahl

Comment

XP office or XP Home. I have seen one post syaing there was a great difference in game compatability between the two. I have no knowledge myself about it.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
          XP office or XP Home. I have seen one post syaing there was a great difference in game compatability between the two. I have no knowledge myself about it.
          I am using XP Home. Actually, I can get SMAC to run on the XP...BUT...only if I do NOT install either or both patches for the game which are available on several websites, i.e. 'smacp3us.exe or smacp4e.exe'. When I do try to load the game with the patch installed, my computer locks up and I have to restart...! The patch worked very well on my Win98 computer but causes a crash on the XP. I doubt that I am the only one experiencing this problem but I haven't read any fix for it yet. I would certainly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Lefty!

Your fix worked to get the program running. I still get the notice, but the game doesn't crash right away anymore, although I have yet to test it on an extended play.

I also had to change the compatability settings to get the colors right, or most of the text was invisible. The settings I found that worked the best were...windows 2000 mode...256 colors....default video settings off.

if you dont know how to change the compatability of a program, you can find that option under accessories in the start menu.

Thanks again!

Comment

I have Win XP (home), with a P4 1.8, 512 of ram and a geforce 3. I've been getting that "CPU not supported". At first I thought it was just the OS. See my smac crashes right at load up. I tried to see if I could set a emulation of win 98 for smac, but didn't work. Guess I'll try the suggestion above. Does it still work if I have the smac v4 patch?

Comment

Been running WinXP Home edition now for 3 months - no problems whatsoever (P4, 1.8, 532 MB RAM) - except for -see below

I did amend the .ini file to add the force old voxel line, and I have downloaded and play the no-cd cracks for smac v 4.0 and smax v 2.0

only problem is when I move a unit right to the top or bottom screen edge (say Ii wanted to open a Unity Pod, or escape a mindworm) - then it freezes when next I try to move that unit away. Now I know that happens, I can still open the pod/escape the MW, but the fix is next turn to put the unit on "automatic" and the 'puter moves it away - then I can resume.

Have played many games to completion, built 3 dozen scenarios, loaded two diozen custom factions (not all at once - only 8 at once) even played a few complete games on my favorite 528 x 256 waterworld maps - all without crashes.

So it can be done

Googlie

Comment

Working...
                X